I Dropped Out Of School At 15, And It Was The Right Decision For Me

No one comes to this conclusion with the snap of their fingers and neither did I. But, I believed in the other options my parents (fortunately!) put in front of me, and now I understand why dropping out was a better decision.

My name is Vaibhav Khurana. I’m a 19-year-old dropout, and a working adult/teen and I’m here to say that my generation requires a reality check. Values from the outside world are more important than what’s taught to us in school, the building block for a pre-pubescent kid.

You know, as a kid, I wasn’t great at studies. I felt like everything I was learning had little value outside the classroom and, as it turns out, I was right. Before I dropped out of school after passing Class IX, my family was in a tough financial spot. They needed an extra set of hands in the family business. Since academics didn’t really teach me anything that felt worthy in the real world, I thought “Why should I give my time to an institution like that?

This was quite a big decision, and I took it with the help of my family.

If you really pay attention to what school teaches you, it doesn’t prepare kids for the real world. I always see kids who pass-out stress over what they want to do in life. If only schools taught us how to deal with our emotions, and taught kids actual social skills―etiquette, reading body language, and empathy.

We should be self-aware at the age of 17 or 18, but school creates such a bubble that we don’t know how to grow. I’m not saying what school teaches is useless, but I’ve learned more in four years of working life than nine years in school. 

And it’s not just about learning to be a professional. Even practical information isn’t provided properly. School is a safe space, but it is so safe that kids are afraid to move on from it!

Most kids go through puberty during their school days. Girls have so much to deal with at that young age. Guys aren’t taught what it is; they’re not told it’s normal; there’s so much stigma around sex education, and for no reason. If only school systems taught kids at a very young age about taking those bodily changes positively, there will probably be no more stigma.

After all, what kids go through and grow through influences who they become. But, rather than helping them grow, we burden them with education and exams and prioritise getting good grades.

Conclusion? Well, there are two ways to help this (and the future) generation. One, we need intensive studies about kids’ mental health and behaviour-building in India. And two, every single student in school should be able to enroll in certain subjects that they feel are best suited for them.

Academically weak or not, each kid has their own strengths, and if a teacher can’t figure that out, then, I wonder if they really deserve to call themselves that. Teaching what’s written in a book can be considered to be far easier. But, teaching kids about loving themselves, understanding their self-worth and to have confidence, is much better and urgent.

Featured image for representation only.