Hyderabad Encounter: Can We Vouch For The Fact That Justice Has Been Delivered?

The cheer from the masses and showering rose petals following the killing of the accused in the Hyderabad rape shows how the public lay their trust in our judiciary. But can we vouch for the fact that justice has been delivered?

Friday morning started with a beep notification citing the killing of the 4 accused of the incident in Shamsabad which took place barely ten days back.

The rape and murder of the vet caused widespread agitation throughout the nation as the inner details of the inhuman brutality being conducted shook us to the core. The body of the vet was found charred as the culprits set her ablaze. This case had a happenstance similar to that of the 2012 Nirbhaya case where the victim was tortured on a moving bus.

Since then there is no stopping India, as the violence and torture surged up to enormous numbers, very much implicating a tweet by Taslima Nasreen where she said “people love violence.”

As the frequency of the attacks rose, together surged the agitation among masses. These gruesome attacks are not often reprimanded as our judiciary follows a system of laggardness. People do find intense jubilation hearing out the killing of the accused, done even without passing proper legal action. Let us take the case of the Unnao rape survivor, who was attacked and is still battling a long fight to see the daylight. How her whole family was wiped out to death as retribution of vengeance is a clear implication of how our judiciary failed a long time back.

This instance is enough to flare up the light of grouses among the public.

As from what is cited by the Telangana police, in the wee hours of the morning on Friday, the four accused were shot down in an encounter as they tried to flee following a brawl where the accused tried to snatch away the armed personnel’s pistols. Pretty hard to digest.

Whatever it be, the act of killing out cannot be justified and should be questioned seriously. As of now. how will we judge whether they were the ones who committed the crime or are there any other people involved in this heinous crime? The conjecture remains.

The police cannot act as an executioner or any other imperial power. This act should be read to a large extent as the one done to shortstop the rage from the media and the public.

Take the case of Vishal Jangotra, the son of the prime accused Sanjhi Ram in the Kathua rape case. Vishal was subjected to custodial torture, made to manufacture false shreds of evidence and subject to other harassment. The SIT members forced down the witness to give false allegations against him.

Shortly after Vishal was arrested as the frenzied media took up this issue to ogle around by peddling fake narratives. Vishal was later on given a fair trial through which the court acquited him as he was not present in the scene of the crime. The court also ordered to lodge FIR against the six SIT members.

The outrage from the Kathua rape was unprecedented. The media took the issue up. What would have happened if there was an encounter, as the chances were very much likely after judging the present scenario!

Some elected representatives may acknowledge the encounter, only to ensure people that they stand by them through and through, having only eyes for votes. While sane minds in politics will have concern for the proper running of our country and will give this matter some serious consideration.

The deviance from the Telangana police can be only marked as an act of chicanery to satisfy the urge of the bleeding masses who all were seen berserk following the debilitating pace at which our judicial system runs a case.

We have a rampant judicial system that requires proper reforms as to further not entertain any such encounter killings.

Everyone, even the deadliest of culprits who indulge in inhuman brutality have the right to get a fair trial as our judicial system offers it. Because democracy prevails here. Until then, we have no authority to judge.

Editor’s note: This article was written before December 7, 2019. The Unnao survivor succumbed to her injuries this morning at Safdarjung Hospital.

Featured image for representative purpose only.
Featured image source: Waseem Andrabi/Hindustan Times via Getty Images.