This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Saba Siddiqui. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

“When The PM Says Your Clothes Are Identifiers, You Know Who Wants To Fan The Fire”

More from Saba Siddiqui

Welcome to the new India which has emerged after successfully butchering the very idea of India where students have more guts than the journalists. The India which has been reduced to mere politics crawling through the social fabric, leaving behind not just friction, but a deep divide that is pinned to the hearts of each and every Indian citizen, irrespective of them finding themselves in the NRC or CAA or not.

Me and all of my family, like millions of others, have been listening to the news and debates across mediums, wondering whether we will be called Indians anymore 2020 onwards. Our fate is being sealed with a bill that turned into an Act overnight, that is both redundant, sectarian, communal and divisive and will call for great human effort and resources further devouring our economy, leaving men, women and children waiting in queues once again, this time holding a few papers which may (not if you belong to minorities) serve as proof of our identities! And worse still, many of us will be rendered in detention centres built across the country for those who have a Muslim name and belong to Islam.

Islamophobia much? Nope, it’s nothing but a deliberate exercise to make the Muslims of India feel marginalised and even persecuted.

A scene from the anti-CAB protest at Jamia.

But, this is not why I am writing today. This write up rather aims to remind each and every Indian that this land called – Bharat, Hindustan, India, is the land seeped with the blood and sacrifice of millions of Muslims. We have been instrumental in the making of the democratic republic of India in 1947 and even after with many illuminaries and visionaries spread across the land.

To those who call for us to leave and go to Pakistan, rest assured we will not, come what may. Our ancestors chose to stay here and we respect that decision along with all those that the constitution of India and its SC upheld so far, even including the highly inconvincing Babri Masjid verdict.

The country is burning but some of us are gloating with a “See? I told you this was coming,” syndrome, and some are plainly rejoicing that now they are likely to get rid of Muslims.

When your PM says your clothes act as identifiers, you know who is looking for the slightest excuse to fan the fire. With statements like these reeking of the 2002 Godhra riots, what may happen is nothing unimaginable, yet it is heart rending. No wonder why students and civilians protest against such draconian atrocities.

Considering the protests happening across the nation, it can be a mammoth revolution. I feel indebted to the non-Muslim students and activists coming out on the streets and roads of Delhi and their respective states protesting against the Act and even getting fatally injured. Those who still think Citizenship Amendment Act 2019 is the right thing and for #AnotherMasterstroke, hope they recover soon before they too, feel the brunt.

With many left-wing politicians fanning the fire and looking for an apt opportunity to gain their brownie points, I implore you to act and think beyond elections, restore our faith in the state and law before the situation turns fatal for people.

It is high time we make our voices reach those at the apex. Each and every citizen must act and register their protest peacefully and show the so-called bosses what the masses can do.

The crux has finally shifted to Jamia now, the bravado of the students protesting shirtless braving the chill is both inspiring and encouraging. The way Jamia students are leaving the campus and hostel is nothing but disheartening. It was not upto students to protest during exams, be beaten up men and women alike, detained and refused medical aid.

In JMI, JNU, AMU and many northeastern universities, many are injured for life with broken limbs and bones. The police, which is supposed to protect people, has been seen violating all humanitarian concerns and laws, refusing to take the blame or responsibility. The images emerging of the protests as well as police brutality both show a picture extremely worrying and revolting.

The police is even harassing women, whether they are part of the protest or not. Rapes or no rapes, the disrespect for women is appalling and is visible in every sense and scene possible. All this makes my heart boil, I feel sad and worried whether I should raise my daughter in an environment so full of hatred.

Its highly deplorable of the Delhi CM who seemingly cares for students, to be now silently watching events unfold. If the likes of Arnab Goswami and Chetan Bhagat can finally talk sense and speak against the heat Jamia students are facing, then its nothing but shame for the rest of the country who silently watch students getting bullied and sullied. Those who still cannot feel the pain and distress of the people protesting, the bubble of disillusion you are in will burst only when the tadipar and his cronies will come at your door and there will be no one to come for help.

I feel so angry that voices which can actually make a difference are silent. No one from the opposition is even milking this opportunity. Had they tried to come out in support of these students and protestors, the game would have changed right away. I know saying this, I have stepped on a highly volatile tangent that reeks of minority politics, but we all are aware that politicians, be it the left or the right, all look for opportunities no matter what people’s sensitivities. Considering this naked truth, why cannot we, the people, use their political ambition and greed in our favour?

Those who keep name-calling Mamata Banerjee who has been out on the road with protestors, go dump your head in cow dung. She is one iron lady who calls a spade a spade without fear every time and stands upto the fascist regime. Salute to the people of Bengal and Kerala and every other state who have registered their support for Delhi and Assam in dissent of the Citizenship Amendment Act 2019.

The revolution has started… Come, let’s make our voice unified, louder and booming! Let’s make this autocracy drown in its own diabolic policies!

More from Saba Siddiqui

By AAA BBB

By priyank samagra

By Srijani Chaudhuri