What Do The Current Party Dynamics Mean For The Jharkhand Assembly Elections?

Jharkhand, a state which is known for unstable governments and Naxal influence, but most importantly, it is also known for minerals. A report says approximately 40% of the total minerals of India come from Jharkhand. The state is largest producer of coal which has 53% share in the total power production of India and the irony is that there are still many villages in the state which do not have electricity.

I am talking about Jharkhand, as there are assembly elections ongoing. It is the first time when any CM has completed a full tenure of 5 years. From this, you can analyse exactly how unstable the politics of Jharkhand is.

The main reasons behind the political instability are:

• Lots of ambitious political parties
  • Less number of seats in assembly

In this election,  a bunch of parties are participating. These are BJP, JMM, JVM, INC, AJSU, RJD, JDU, JP, LJP, BSP, SP, AAP, etc. All parties are fighting individually except JMM, INC and RJD who have formed an alliance or a mahagathbandhan.

Here the major parties are: BJP, which is the ruling party, JMM which is in opposition to the INC, JVM, and a student union party AJSU, which is also the ally party of the ruling government but they are fighting this election individually.

Now, these are the main issues on which the political parties are talking this election. The BJP is focusing on:

• Development in previous 5 years
  • Article 370 and the Ram Mandir
  • ‘Wiping out’ the Naxals
  • A corruption-free government

According to me, not all points are effective. Some are pointless, because recently a report was published which says Jharkhand is the 4th most corrupt state among all 29 states of India. The issue of Naxals is also not as simple as being portrayed. Recently, just before the first phase of elections, an attack on the police occurred in Latehar by Naxals where 4 policemen died.

The main issues the opposition is taking up are:

• Unemployment
  • Corruption
  • 27% reservation to OBC communities, which at present is 13% for Jharkhand
  • Unemployment allowance

JMM, which is the main opposition party, has a strong stand on the 27% reservation for OBC communities and unemployment allowance. AJSU, which has been an ally for the previous BJP government agrees.

The election result will be declared on December 23. Before that day, I think predictions are pointless but I also think that even after the results, it will not be clear as to who forms the government. I am saying this because we all saw recently, the political drama in Maharashtra. And when it comes to Jharkhand, well, it is the master of political drama and instability.

Featured image for representative purpose only.
Featured image source: Narendra Modi/Flickr.