Decoding The Jharkhand Assembly Election: What Went Wrong For The BJP?

BJP’s unpopularity, across the country, is on the rise, and after losing power in Maharashtra, they have been defeated again in Jharkhand.

The Jharkhand Mukti Morch (JMM) and Congress alliance formed a majority with 30 and 16 seats (30+16=46) over BJP (25 seats). With this victory, Hemant Soren (President of JMM) became the youngest person to hold the post of Chief Minister twice.

These results were a huge blow for BJP, which was barely recovering from the humiliating loss in Maharashtra.

As JMM celebrated its victory, Ragubar Das, the outgoing CM stated  “It’s my defeat, not of BJP” addressing a press conference. There was a different tone to this compared to his previous one in which he had confidently declared, “We are not only winning but also forming the [Jharkhand] government under the leadership of BJP in the state“.

Though it was a State Assembly election, the results were a ripple effect of the CAA-NRC controversy and the subsequent protests.

Narendra Modi and Amit Shah

The other factors that led to the defeat were:

Increase In Lynching

There has been an increase in lynching attacks on Muslims and Dalits. According to reports, there have been more than 20 lynching deaths in the last two years. More than half of them have been committed by cow protection vigilantes.

The Dissatisfaction Of Tribals

A majority of Jharkhand’s population are tribals. With the amendment of the Land Acquisition Law which led to protests last year and the Pathalgadi movement, it became clear that the tribals weren’t happy with the BJP government. Besides, Raghubar Das’s non-tribal status did nothing to help his cause.

With this, Jharkhand becomes the sixth state in which BJP has failed to win in, reducing the party’s political footprint to half of what it was two years ago.

Do you find online payments safe?

Take this survey and help companies and the government make online payments safer for you.

Take the Survey