A Letter To The Government: No One Wants Your Hindu Rashtra

Dear leaders of the ruling party,

Let’s get this straight: no one is staying quiet. No one will. You have tested our tolerance for long now. Nobody is buying your pretentious acts and blatant lies. Stop breaking the country apart by your laws borrowed from history, memories of which have still not escaped people.

Police brutality against students.

You don’t want your name in the same books as Hitler or British colonizers. Or do you? Once again you have successfully deflected answering important questions bothering the whole nation: about the declining GDP, farmer suicides or rising unemployment. The Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) and National Register of Citizens (NRC) have surely helped in drawing attention away from the shortcomings of your ‘governance’ over the last 5 years, but they serve a larger ideological purpose: the realization of a ‘Hindutva’ nation. 

Photo: Himanshu Saikia via Facebook.

Your party is the definition of hypocrisy, and our prime minister, a sanctimonious wretch. Not only can’t you handle legitimate arguments, you won’t even respond to them either. Blaming the leaders of the opposition party, even going as far back as 1947 to attack Jawaharlal Nehru, blocking communication services, using violence on peaceful protesters are a few tricks that you have learned to silence dissent.

You can’t expect us to overlook the discrepancies of this (CAA) act, that how it is one of your many ploys to sideline the minorities, and, especially, the Muslims. If you think this is going to help you win votes, remember all those out on the streets, the students you have beaten, the people you have detained, are going to vote too. We didn’t trust you before, we definitely don’t trust you now. So you can drop the façade and stop justifying your actions and this discriminatory act. 

If only your party leaders had shown the same enthusiasm in dealing with the problem of lynchings or women’s safety. But, this act has made it clear where your interests lie, your response to the protests have made it clear what ideas you have for this country. Your party has never been able to look past religion and that is slowly killing the country.

The ‘world’s largest democracy’ is going to be in ruins if you don’t stop now, and this definitely won’t be applauded internationally. Please stop feeding off the poor, people from Dalit communities and Muslims. Please start governing the country, its people–people of all religions, of all regions and of all genders (we haven’t forgotten the Trans Bill too). 

NEW DELHI, INDIA DECEMBER 28: Members and supporters of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) community shout slogans during a protest to stop the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill, at Jantar Mantar, on December 28, 2018 in New Delhi, India. (Photo by Amal KS/Hindustan Times via Getty Images)

No one would want to be a Hindu in this ideal nation of yours that is unwilling to give proper space and rights to its minorities. Start listening to what the people are saying. I am just one of the many million voices.

Sincerely NOT yours,

A citizen of this democratic nation. 

Featured image for representation only.