Hyderabad Rape And Murder: As A Society, We Must Ensure This Never Happens Again

In India, after an incident of rape, things like candle marches and viral hashtags on social media become common ways of expressing our anger. But does it change anything? No, I don’t think so. It’s not our fault that we forget to maintain that anger consistently, but then, we also need to find a solution for this issue.

If we want to ensure justice for this woman and many more like her, we have to make sure we don’t let any woman suffer the same fate again.

But what can be the possible solution?

Everyone has said that they are sad about what happened in Hyderabad recently. But we all can stop these crimes against women and girls by standing up to not just get justice for her, but also ensure that no other woman is victimised ever again.

So, what can we do at an individual level? Maybe we can start by holding the authorities responsible. We could ask them why they failed in doing their job properly. We could ask every member of the society, including our family, to do their job correctly.

If the person at the toll booth had taken their job seriously, maybe that woman could have been saved. If the police were carrying out their patrolling duty seriously, perhaps she could have been saved. If the streets were under strict surveillance, that woman could have been saved. If all of those people had been a little more serious, this woman could have been saved.

If we want to contribute towards getting justice for this woman and many more like her, we have to make sure we don’t let any woman suffer the same fate again.