‘For Women To Live In Fear Is The New Normal For Our Country’

For how long will the same conversation go on? For how long will we wake up to brutal, terrifying news? For how long will we have to protest and light candles for justice? For how long will we have to hashtag women safety? How many more tweets need to be tweeted? For how long will women safety be just a clichéd phrase?

To whom should we go pleading for safety and justice? Don’t we have the entitlement to safety? Don’t we have the right to feel safe every time we go out when it’s dark? How many more questions will we be asked before we are entitled to safety and justice? How many more debates, how much louder should we scream? How many more articles should be written for us to be heard that we have the rights to safety?

This is our country where the people in power, the lawmakers, the law-enforcers, the law-protectors do not have any answer to the million questions a woman has. Image via Getty

Seven years and the same story is being written again; the same fight, the same screams. When will we see the light of the day? Whom should we blame? Society? The police? The government? The court? Ourselves?

The questions are left unanswered. We have been fed that another rape news is the new normal for our country. The accused get away, hundreds of cases go unreported, we wait six years for justice, and we blame women for what they wear and for going out unaccompanied at night. Why are the law and order failing women every single day? Was the Nirbhaya case not enough to shake and wake up the nation, society, the lawmakers, enforcers and protectors? How many more such cases need to happen? How many more women need to go through rape, assault and brutal murder before we take some action?

Just another topic of conversation, just another debate for nothing, just another article that will be forgotten. Who will understand that the terrifying news we are being fed takes away a bit from a girl’s dream? For women to live with fear is normal. This is our country where the people in power, the lawmakers, the law-enforcers, the law-protectors do not have any answer to the million questions a woman has.