I Look Forward To The Day Indian Women Move From Oppression To Opportunity

From the ancient world to the contemporary world, women have been suppressed from attaining formal education. Some ancient book states, it’s the sins of your past incarnation that you took birth as a woman. The pages of Dharamshastras ascertain the roles and duties of an ‘ideal’ woman.

The language used by women was considered as verbal commitments of inferiors. It is gracefully mentioned in the Puranas that, “if your husband is beating you for your good then he is right.” Even the great Aristotle was against women’s citizenship.

Women have been beautifully shown as inferior in every ‘man-made stratification’ but this was majorly highlighted in the Vedic and post-Vedic period. During the early civilisation of India, there was no gender-based inequality. It is still unknown how this stratification constructed the current status of Indian women. How magnanimously our bodies are objectified from our breasts to our reproductive organs, but people are perhaps unknown that these organs were once worshipped in ancient India.

Being a woman I feel that women on this planet are actually civilising the people around them. I feel it is so powerful that even while being called ‘incapable,’ we the women are actually saving the universe. Since birth, girls in this country rebel to fight back the oppression associated with their gender. Since infancy, we are defined by societal norms; the immense power rising in our veins is reduced to nothing but our vaginas.

The oppression runs at a massive rate, but the opportunities for underprivileged women are still zero. The day when this oppression will end, opportunities will arise, the words equality or empowerment will be truly exemplified in our lives.

Featured image for representative purpose only.
Featured image source: Girish Srivastava/Hindustan Times via Getty Images.