How Successful Are Public Policies And Social Inclusion Efforts In India?

The idea of India envisioned by our forefathers had much inclusivity because of the legacies of previous civilisations and the belief of “Sarwa Dharma Sambhava”. The mixture of different cultural identities were encouraged and made this a beautiful notion.

Although the nation experienced collective suffering under British rule, in the post-independence era, the foremost challenge was nation-building and it was led with constitutional guarantees to every citizen of this country.

The very first Preamble of the Constitution declares the spirit of our ideals, the values of democratic ideals, such as liberty, equality and distributive justice. It is the state’s duty to maintain diversities and protect each and everyone, without any discrimination, and work for the welfare of people.

There are many programs and initiatives by different governments, from time to time, for the upliftment of vulnerable groups, but not all the social problems have been addressed for some reason or the other.

Ttherefore, there is a need to focus on certain problems more specifically, so that the idea of inclusive policy can be brought into every section of society.

Public policies act as tools, that provide and safeguard the rights of the people. They also create a wider, deeper impact in society to help maintain a balance between the rich and poor. This also provides standards of governance that equate with other democratic nations around the world. Also, social inclusion ensures basic human rights, dignity, and a conducive environment, where all can enjoy life and access services, amenities, and opportunities.

The Indian state has taken a greater interest in sustainable and culturally sensitive policies to maintain and address the basic needs of the common people, through some actions, which have been defined in the Indian constitution.

There are some issues and problems which cannot be tackled by individuals or groups, therefore, the democratic government formulates effective public policies, in such way, so as to minimise the existing problems or issues of society, without causing greater damage of future generations.

The philosophy of Indian policies is to bring inclusion among the masses through inclusive policy, social protection, and a collection of laws and regulations. However, policies are mainly to address the needs of the masses, although they are divided into different categories, like health policies – which refer to all policies related to health or women and child protection, HIV/AIDS, workplace policies etc.

There are other public policies which aim to help vulnerable people, such as ICDS, MGNREGA, RTE, JSY, UDAY, PMAY, RTI, NRHM, Swatchchta Mission, etc. These policies have a greater impact among the masses and this can play an important role in delivering social justice, especially to the weaker sections of India.

There is existence of inequality based on caste, class, religion, ethnicity, etc., so the thrust of public policy must be remedial and rehabilitative, with a non-elitist approach.  Then it works as a tool for social reform, social welfare, development, and change.