6 TIPS On How To Reduce Your Carbon Footprint [#GlobalWarming]

WhyOnEarth logo mobEditor’s Note: Are you bothered by the drastic changes in our climate, causing extreme weather events and calamities such as the Kerala Floods? #WhyOnEarth aims to take the truth to the people with stories, experiences, opinions and revelations about the climate change reality that you should know, and act on. Have a story to share? Click here and publish.

By Bharathi Murali:

Environmental science is among the basic sciences in the curriculum of the primary school children. The key factor for its inclusion into the basic scientific world is to inculcate the importance of the Mother Nature from the grass roots level of the developing brain. Still, its purpose is not mellowed. The most fundamental resolutions which can be adopted by any human would help to groom the nature towards the doors of clean-ambience.

The term ‘carbon footprint’ refers to the individual or even communal contribution to the carbon chain.

To make the idea sound simpler and more fantasizing, it would be apropos to plug this incredulous survey-analysis. In one survey conducted, way before the Climate Summit at Copenhagen there was this appalling response. What would happen if the electronic supple is left open?

There may be different debaters saying that the current would not pass because the circuit is incomplete, only when port is connected the electrons flow and so on. But the truth is that a little amount of heat is generated from the end of the cable. The researchers averaged the value, once they were able to find out for one house’s contribution they extrapolated the value. It was shocking to find out the heat emanated from such bodies at the street, zonal, state levels.

If the advice is to ‘switch-off’ the supply when not in use, it should not be mocked or booed. The contribution of such trivial mistakes on a small-scale has a global phenomenon.

The Super-Six ways to reduce your C-Footprint

1. Animals are our friends not food- eat for the need, not greed. If one animal is slaughtered, it is then deprived from its presence in the living food-chain and affects the balance. Once this equilibrium is shaken, there will be consequences of soar in carbon level over a large domain. The question “Just because I eat meat, you mean to say Greenhouse gases have gone somewhere up over there?” is pointless. On the larger base it is just not “I”, beyond that.
  2. Tip-tap your feet- occasional walking to your work place, school or college is a good deed. Cycling is also a cheerful and eco-friendly means of locomotion. Rethink your transportation.
  3. “I Love You- Give a plant”. Who said only roses illustrate love, in that path of credence any plant can depict love. Gift a plant to your lover for a change and ask him/her to grow it with care. The growth marks the love for you and the Mother Nature. In that case, you can gift it any day; do not wait for next February 14th!
  4. Of course, the survey speaks. When there is no use for the electricity it is as good as being switched off. When your laptop is not getting charged yet the plug is on with no port connected, switch it off! Same holds for any appliance.
  5. This is something interesting and strange. In the Indian households we use ‘mixie’. There is this concept which is to be understood, repeated grinding of the food will not make it further smaller. Ceaseless grinding and attrition of the blades with sealed air leads to more heat emission and power wastage. If you find your mom doing this, you know what should be done.
  6. Deforestation is word of lesser relevance to an individual, but forestation seems pragmatic. Grow a plant (not the 3rd point!). Create a small garden of your choice, give the plants a name, invite your clique to have a look and celebrate it.

Image courtesy.