India’s Water Crisis: This Initiative Is Trying To Get People To ‘Run For Rivers’

Rivers are the origin of Indian civilization. In a large part of the whole world, drinking water and water for domestic use is obtained only from rivers. Even from an economic point of view, rivers are very useful because about 65% of the water required for our needs can be easily obtained from rivers.

A river is a source of uninterrupted water supply. Our civilization and our culture are indebted to the rivers for their development. The relationship between rivers, clouds, and humans have existed since time immemorial. Seeing the clouds as the rivers smile from afar, that moment is gone. Birds dancing, sparrows flapping their wings, forests echoing the songs of peacocks and cuckoos, all that is gone as our rivers are going dry.

Rivers provide clean water for life which is why most ancient civilizations and tribes settled, and thrived, near their banks. The ancient Indus Valley Civilization of India was developed near the Indus River. In a large part of the world, drinking water and water for domestic use is obtained only through rivers. Water required for irrigation is also provided by them.

Rivers are a good source of fertile alluvial soil that is useful for farming. Rivers not only provide water, but also end up carrying domestic and industrial dirty, and residual, waste-water with them. Large bodies of rivers are also used for water transportation.

These rivers are great sources of fish, consumed by many all across the country. Also, electricity is obtained by constructing dams on rivers and by building hydro-electric power plants. The tourism industry also gets a boost through recreational means such as boating and river rafting, etc.

India’s rivers are undergoing tremendous change, and our perennial rivers are becoming seasonal due to the burden of population and development-related pressure. Many small rivers have already disappeared. Floods and drought conditions are occurring again-and-again as the rivers end up becoming uncontrollable during the monsoon, and disappear after the end of the rainy season.

Now the time has come for each one of us to get together to save the rivers. In order to save all the creatures, then, we have to come together and start a movement.

Run for Rivers is an initiative that works to make people aware of how our rivers are drying up. If not now, then, all animals, birds, trees, forests including humans will cease to exist.

Kisaan Sarthi has launched ‘Run for Rivers’, under which a marathon will be organised in every state across India. This initiative also aims to plant 100 million trees by 2022. The first edition of the marathon will be held on February 2, 2020, in Noida, Uttar Pradesh.