Delhi Govt Launches Initiative To Enhance Gender-Sensitization Among Boys

This is a short congratulatory message to the Chief Minister of Delhi, Arvind Kejriwal for his recent effort to sensitize the boys in the government schools and colleges towards respecting women. (Let’s for one moment forget about the timing of this move just ahead of the Delhi elections.)

I was more than thrilled to read about this initiative. And now, when it has been conducted, I am so happy that someone seems to have finally understood that stringent laws and curbing the movement of girls and women are not the solutions. Rather, ingraining basic values and principles of respect and dignity in our boys are much more likely to produce long-term success.

It may seem like a hollow facade to some, but it is the first step towards addressing the brutal mentality that our society is conditioned to. If we can make our boys understand the difference between right and wrong, between good touch and bad touch, maybe there will be a time when we don’t have to tell our girls not to step out of the house.

Now, I am not saying that one session will end all the crimes, but surely, it can act as the first step towards healthy behavioural development. I hope that this model gets replicated on a much larger scale and not only government schools but private schools, too, would take up at least one such session in sensitizing boys each month.

Salute to you, Sir, for such a thoughtful initiative. I hope this effort does not get politicised and stays true to its cause and effort.