Societies Stopping Residents From Feeding Stray Dogs Is Against Animal Protection Laws!

In another case of a housing society violating animal protection laws, few residents of Lodha society in Thane confronted another member for feeding stray dogs. This whole incident was recorded by the member who was feeding the stray dogs, and the video shows how the other members were reacting even after being told that there are laws which allow people to feed stray dogs even inside society premises.

This video has been doing rounds on social media for the past few days, where a woman is seen arguing with another woman who was feeding the dogs. When asked not to do it, she replied that the area was a common area where she has been feeding the dogs for a long time, and it was her right to perform such activities to which another resident again said that the dogs could not be fed here.

It was at this time that the resident who was feeding the dogs told the rest about the animal protection laws, and again, it was at this moment that another male resident wearing a blue shirt and black trouser entered the conversation and said that they would complain and get the dogs picked up from the area. She told him that these dogs had been neutered, and it is also a fact that neutered dogs cannot be relocated from the area.

Such behavior of society residents cannot be tolerated, and it is also illegal to stop someone from feeding stray dogs.

Then the members started saying that the dogs run behind children to which the member who was feeding the dogs asked for proof. The society members were refused to produce any evidence which indicates that either they were making excuses or the dogs were provoked by the residents. Even after repeatedly being told about the laws, how the residents were behaving only shows how blatantly they disregard the laws of the country.

While going through some more similar cases, I came across a social media post by a resident of the society who stated the behavior of the residents towards the stray dogs and how they harass anyone who feeds the dogs:

“Women who feed strays and love them are being targeted, ABUSED & THREATENED, PUPPIES ARE beaten up, poisoned—it’s cruelty to the hilt.

On 28th November 2019, 4 pm I was feeding the strays and the puppies. A resident of platino G stopped me from feeding them and used abusive language; he clicked my picture and said “poore Lodha main lagaunga”, his name is Surya Narayan Pandey. He also said “tu sham ko khana khilane aa kaise khilati Hain dekhta hun”, it was a an open threat to a woman.”

Such behavior of society residents cannot be tolerated, and it is also illegal to stop someone from feeding stray dogs, but the unfortunate part is that generally, the police officials don’t take such cases seriously—as they are already overwhelmed with other cases. It is this reason that such societies violate laws because they know that no severe punishment will be awarded to them.

But for once let’s consider their argument that stray dogs make the area dirty; this does not mean their feeding should be stopped. In my society, which is coincidentally near this particular society, we not only feed the stray dogs who reside in our society but also have employed enough staff members who ensure the area is cleaned. This process has been done with the full cooperation of the society members, as the dogs in our society were neutered. As they could not have been relocated, the society members made the efforts to ensure that they and the stray dogs co-exist, and this process has been successful. Hence, the argument that dogs make the place dirty, hence should not be fed is nothing but a baseless excuse.

This case also shows that this particular society is not the only one violating the laws; there are probably many other societies doing so. Hence, it is also the duty of the law and order machinery to ensure that such violations do not occur—because if people start to violate laws like this as per their discretion, then others will also start disregarding the laws as per their convenience. Such a scenario only points towards a lawlessness situation.

In conclusion, I would again state that Sections 428 and 429 of the IPC (Indian Penal Code), as well as Cruelty towards Animals Act of 1960, says that no animal should be harmed purposely. Looking at this case, it seems that the residents of the society in question have already violated these laws, which raises serious doubts regarding the implementation of laws.