Could The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It Be Inspired By This Real-Life Story?

Conjuring 3 has been in the news for a while now; a few days ago, the horror movie got its official title, The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It. This was in line with almost every rumour that was circulated about this movie online. iHorror has dedicated a lengthy article on what they claim to be the real-life experience of the Warrens that inspired the horror movie.

According to the article by iHorror, the movie seeks inspiration from an incident that took place back in the 1980s.  David Glatzey was then 11 years old and was behaving strangely after his family moved to a rental property. He would speak of an old man who threatened his family, gradually his conditions worsened when he experienced nightmares and several injuries on his body

After a local priest intervened, his condition worsened, eventually leading Ed and Lorraine to take up the matter.  After several exorcisms, they found out that an ancient demonic entity had possessed Arne, who had a relationship with David’s mother, Debbie. The family finally had to leave the place and Debbie started working for a dog groomer, Alan Bono.

But the events on February 16, 1981, form the crux of the matter. On that day, Arne, Debbie, Alan, and Mary (Debbie’s niece) go out for lunch where after a strife between Mary and Alan, Arne murdered Alan with a 5-inch knife. Arne Johnson was sentenced to 10-15 years in prison, but not before he pleaded that “the Devil made me do it.”

The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It releases on September 11, 2020.  It stars Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson, along with Sterling Jerins, Julian Hilliard, Sarah Catherine Hook, Charlene Amoia, Ruairi O’Connor and others. Michael Chaves, the director of The Curse of La Llorona directs the David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick screenplay.