Dear Society, I Am Happily Wheeling My Chair. I Don’t Need Your Tears Or Pity

After my spinal injury which led to disability, I tried my best to overcome all the obstacles, even with the acute pain and scars that I bore post-surgery. I started working  3 weeks after returning from my rehabilitation centre. Even though the doctor had no hope of my recovery, I started travelling in my wheelchair within 3 months. Life became harsh for me and my family. They also suffered the blow along with me. However, through all the pain and struggle, I was improving. My family became my strength.

I am happy, as this life has given me a second chance, but the society we reside in has a different perspective on how life should be. I have met people who cry to my face exhibiting their sympathy for me. They do not understand that being disabled does not take away the right of a person to live. Whenever I try to rear my head to fight this situation, society tries even harder to put me down. They judge me, questioning the reason for my condition.

Even though the doctor had no hope of my recovery, I started travelling in my wheelchair within 3 months.

I just have one question to all “Are you all happy and content with all your fully functional limbs?”. If not, then I can understand that feeling. Just as you are trying to overcome your obstacles, so am I. It’s just that mine differ from yours.

We all have our own share of suffering. It’s high time we stopped judging each other. I am not bothered about your pain, kidney failure, blindness, hair fall, obesity, your deteriorating financial condition, and the list goes on. So please don’t be bothered about mine. I was walking for 29 years and now I am happily wheeling my chair.

Pity is a lethal weapon, unknowingly you are using it to destroy someone’s courage. Not pitying will not make you any less of a human.