Why It Is Important To Revamp The Indian Judicial System

It is unquestionable to doubt the fact that the recent events in Unnao and Hyderabad have raised eyebrows, considering the way in which these appalling and ghastly crimes were carried out.

Indeed, it is distressing to acknowledge the naked truth of our society, that hitherto, monstrous crimes such as rape, domestic violence, physical abuse, and misconduct, have been treated as episodes of shame and disgrace for kin of victims or survivors and the survivors themselves.

Students from different organisations hold placards to protest against the Telangana government after a rape case of a veterinary doctor in Hyderabad at Parliament Street in New Delhi.(Sanchit Khanna/HT PHOTO)

Alternatively, the encounter in Telangana, in the context of the rape and murder case of a veterinary doctor in Hyderabad last month, tells us about our incompetent and enfeeble Judiciary System.

The need of the hour calls us to pause, think and reflect, even as we grieve, to come up with an auxiliary benchmark, to institutionalise a strong, resilient and a steadfast juridical organisation. One that will stick, follow and adhere to its moral and constitutional responsibility, of carrying out expedient legal actions, not only against the accused but also toward the crime which takes place.

For instance, trials must be completed swiftly, which rarely happens in India, given the high case pendency. Also, building up judicial accountability is paramount in such situations. Equally important is remarkable, ‘Justice Delayed, is Justice Denied’ slogan which explains why delayed justice is being touted as the reason for such a report.

Coequally vexing is the low conviction rate in rape cases, which hovers around 32%. Certainly, there is no need now, to elaborate much, on the necessity to proceed urgently on a holistic revamp of the justice delivery system.

Furthermore, the spate of crimes against women, and frequent vigilante spurt, rightfully expresses the rage and helplessness, which, in turn, symbolises a wake-up call for the justice system.

In addition to this, the lack of credible witness protection and meandering court proceedings emboldens various influential accused to meddle with the evidence, and consequently subvert justice. Frantically, right now it feels like an unending onslaught on women and irrefutably, is a shameful position for any society to be in.

On this account, it is substantial to ponder on the urgency of restoring the judicial system in order to ensure that Indian women do not succumb to barbarous predatory.