Why Is Sexual Violence Rising In India?

The answer is in the cultural methodology of our socialisation process. In simple words, the response to this question “Why sexual violence in India is rising?” is endowed in the way we interact with each other at a personal and social level.

It is obviously an unfortunate subject (on acknowledging the rise in gender and sexual violence), but nevertheless not a taboo to discuss the same.

On the aggregate level, I believe the art of parenting holds the onus. Improper enforcement of laws also holds the responsibility of acting irresponsibly against rapists; making the society less coherent to accept the issue of gender violence. The ‘Ponzi’ delay in the judicial process over sexual violence simply incentivises the status quo.

As long as the families and societies continue to dissociate from the axioms of privacy, consent and choice, in its interaction processes, the cases pertaining to sexual violence would exponentially grow.

To add fuel to the fire, commodification of gender and misogynic perspectives, (including, the misandric ones) will only strengthen the egotism, leading us toward a dystopian society. As a society, we may become desensitised to rape; hence, there is an urgent need to destroy the ‘rape culture’ in today’ epoch, in India.

A rapist is a rapist, irrespective of the religion. The cases of sexual violence would deflate if we seek gender justice and social equity rather than adding a communal angle to any story.

To add fuel to the fire, commodification of gender and misogynic perspectives, (including, the misandric ones) will only strengthen the egotism, leading us toward a dystopian society.

Sex is still a taboo, in 21st century. Despite being so populated, (and priding over overtaking the Chinese population by 2024), the land of Kamasutra continues to shun open discourses on sex. Thus, sexual violence is systematically normalised without our conscious endorsement.

Yes means yes, no means no. It’s as simple as that.