2020 Is Here And Your Social Media Posts Haven’t Saved The Planet Yet

WhyOnEarth logo mobEditor’s Note: Are you bothered by the drastic changes in our climate, causing extreme weather events and calamities such as the Kerala Floods? #WhyOnEarth aims to take the truth to the people with stories, experiences, opinions and revelations about the climate change reality that you should know, and act on. Have a story to share? Click here and publish.

We’re all well aware of the climate change issue and rising level of pollution whether through Greta Thunberg’s speech at the United Nations or by seeing trending topics on Twitter like #DelhiAirEmergency, #DelhiChoke, and many more. But do we care about the solution to these issues? If yes, then where are the people? Why is the government not taking proper and strict steps towards this problem? Why are the people who have power in their hands silent? Why are they turning their faces away from responsibilities by blaming the opposition?

When air pollution is at its peak, and it’s a state of emergency in the city where you’re living—you cannot just keep tweeting about the problem; you have to unite, come forward together and demand the government for basic rights. Why aren’t they taking enough steps to control this problem? Delhi, the capital of our great India, becomes sixth-populated metropolis in the world—even second largest if the entire NCR is included.

22 of the world’s 30 cities for air pollution are in India, with Delhi again ranked the world’s most polluted capital.

Every day, the Air Quality Index of Delhi is skyrocketing due to various factors like stubble burning, burning of firecrackers on Diwali and the cold weather. According to the article written by The Guardian, 22 of the world’s 30 cities for air pollution are in India, with Delhi again ranked the world’s most polluted capital. But who cares, our politicians are busy in making statues and world records rather than solving the problem of living in the city.

Everyone is discussing the development, economy, technology and so on, but what’s the point of development if there will be no humanity, what’s the point of having smart cities if AQI of that city crossing the 400 mark? Do you want to live in a city where millions of people could die prematurely from exposure to air pollution? It’s high-time everyone united to fight against the alarming issues rather than the baseless issues. This is the time where you should ask your government to take action on air pollution, water crisis, hygiene and sanitation, human rights, quality education, and many more issues. Every other problem comes only if people will be alive.

Recently, 11,000 scientists declared climate emergency across the globe. The European Union, meanwhile confirmed that last month was the warmest October ever registered fast on heels of a record September and the hottest month ever in July.

Posting your opinion on social media is not a bad thing to do, but your post doesn’t make any sense if there is no point of action. Only posting on social media and putting Insta stories will not bring people on action. Focus on the people who don’t even know and understand these big issues (your educated friends and family members already know the consequences). Ask your friends to spread these issues offline as well as online. Ask your local government to take concrete action to resolve these issues. Remember, it’s your planet you are responsible, your actions will change the consequences.

“There is no room for Plan B because there is no Planet B!”