5 Steps ISRO Needs To Fulfill To Successfully Land An Indian On Mars

Many space stations of the world are trying to land a man on Mars surface but unfortunately, they have not succeeded in doing so yet. On the other hand, ISRO, is planning to do so for the first time. This can be a historic achievement for India and ISRO if they can successfully achieve the mission’s objective.

Now for achieving it successfully, ISRO has to undertake various preparations. Apart from this, Mars is considered to be a planet where the possibility of life is very high. Now, to ensure this possibility, we need to gather more information in a proper manner.

This is why ISRO is on a new move to send a man to Mars. Let’s now get into the details about what preparations they should make to make this mission successful.

The team of scientists behind ISRO’s most notable success, Mangalyaan.

1) Creating The Gaganyaan Spacecraft

Gaganyaan is basically an Indian orbital spacecraft which is being designed to station the Indian crew to land on Mars. The idea is to send 3 astronauts on space from India with a minimum duration of 7 days stay on Mars and space by 2022. This is the main part of the Indian human space flight program by ISRO.

This spacecraft which is being designed by the scientists of ISRO, comprises several things like the crew module and service module which is collectively known as an orbital module. One more important aspect is this is an indigenous spacecraft which is being designed by ISRO by itself.

2) Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle

GSLV Mk III, is the satellite launch vehicle which will be used by ISRO to launch the Gaganyaan. The reason for using this launch vehicle is that it comprises a three-stage payload heavy-lift capability to make a successful takeoff from the Earth’s orbit. This is why this launch vehicle has been selected.

It has the capacity and the power to carry 4 tons class of satellite into the Geosynchronous Transfer orbit. It can also lower down the weight of the load by 10 tons of Earth’s orbit.

3) Placement Of The Spacecraft

ISRO plans to place the spacecraft in the low earth orbit which is around 300-400 km. This will help the rocket to leave the Earth’s orbit at a very fast pace. Apparently, the three best pilots of the IAF will be selected to accomplish this mission. Physical tests, clinical tests, lab investigations, radiological and psychology evaluations are also expected to be conducted to ensure that the selected astronauts can withstand the atmosphere of the space in a proper manner.

4) Orange Space Suits For The Astronauts

Orange spacesuits were designed by the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre for astronauts. The speciality of this space suit is it that it allows astronauts to breathe in oxygen while in space for 60 minutes. It will also allow the astronauts to hold one oxygen cylinder.

5) The Capsule

The main purpose of the capsule which will also take off along with the rocket is to rotate round the Earth for 90 minutes after leaving the Earth and reaching space. The astronauts can view sunset and sunrise of the Earth every 24 hours from space, and they can also conduct their experiments on microgravity.

These three astronauts will be able to view India from space for the first time in the history of space science in the country. The total cost of the Gaganyaan project is worth ₹10000 crore and the most ambitious project of ISRO, second only to NASA. Hence, all us Indians can keep our fingers crossed and hope for this historic event to be successful.

Featured image for representative purpose only.
Featured image source: ISRO/Facebook.