This Republic Day, We Must Find New Hope And A New Vision For India

It’s a shame that even after so many years since Independence that India is still grappling with crime, corruption, violence, terrorism, caste issues, riots, black marketers, college and university unrest, and many more issues. The need of the hour is to examine ourselves and unite to save our country from such issues that are pulling us away from achieving economic development and progress.

It goes without saying that we should be aware of social issues like poverty, illiteracy, unemployment, inequality. The government’s recent Citizenship Amendment Act and the issues surrounding climate change are some important areas which need urgent attention from all of us.

It’s been 71 years since India became a Republic. While the last decade was a mixed bag of feelings for us, we must not lose hope.

While we look at these problems, we must also acknowledge some of the public welfare schemes implemented by the government. “Padhega India tabhi toh badhega India”, (a catchy slogan that means ‘only if India studies can India grow’), “Beti Bachao Beti Padhao” (Save the girl child by educating her) are some initiatives worth mentioning. These catchy slogans mean well and actually emphasizes that education is an important element of human development and well being.

In this ‘digital age’, especially with the widespread use of social media, both factors: the government’s transparency and our ability to question them are supposed to increase with the passage of time. Nowadays, things that are not reported or brought forth by the mainstream media are brought forth by citizen journalists. The internet, with its massive network, has even penetrated the far and wide regions of India. But internet usage and the number of internet shutdowns last year were quite big and phenomenal.

On the judicial front, the most talked-about cases Delhi gang rape, Kathua also received closure. And in Delhi gangrape case, the Supreme Court gave the judgment after seven long years. On 10th June 2019, three of the six defendants in Kathua case were also found guilty and convicted.

In recent times, there has been strong resistance against the Citizenship Amendment Act and the great dangers of the NPR and the NRC, the government’s actions and vested interests have united a diverse group of protestors against the establishment.

All said, we’ve just entered 2020, we must do so with new hope and a new vision. Of course, there are many problems that we may have to face and resolve in the new decade. It’s been 71 years since India became a Republic. However, the decade has been a bag of mixed feelings for us. But, we are hopeful that we may emerge stronger in the days to come.