8 Smart Ways To Eradicate Distractions While You Work From Home

Distractions are the biggest hurdle and the most challenging part for work from home professionals. Right from household activities to attending guests and family responsibilities. These hindrances can be easily conquered with the help of implementing self-discipline in our lives.

Self-discipline is the first step to achieve your goal!

1) Wake Up Early

Start your day early and spare at least 60 minutes to workout or do yoga, this will help you energise physically and mentally throughout your day. You won’t feel lethargic and ultimately your focus and productivity will improve. I get up at 6 AM and this habit has really changed my lifestyle. My next target is to wake up at 4 AM. Fingers crossed.

2) Make A Checklist

The first thing in the morning is to plan your work. Make a checklist in your diary or anyplace you deem convenient and make sure all tasks are ticked off by the end of the day. As per scientific research, when all the tasks are accomplished, there is a hormone called dopamine that is released which is good for your health. A sense of accomplishment improves your intellectual power to conceive new ideas and ensure a happy and healthy life.

3) Shrug Off Time Consuming Activities In Advance

Observe all the miscellaneous tasks that consume your time and try to complete them in advance, to avoid any distractions later. You will not lose your focus and continue doing your job. Initially, I did not realise the reason behind those distractions because it’s up to us how we manage things in life. Once you learn time management skills your life will become easier than before.

An artists’s impression of freelancing. (Illustration: Megan Rexazin)

4) Prioritize Your Work

Set your priorities in the following sequence as Most urgent -> Most important -> Important -> Less important. This will avoid confusion and improve your work efficiency. Chuck unwanted activities and accomplish your tasks one at a time. This is how you can accomplish multi-tasking.

5) Work Hard, Party Less

Common issues while working from home are party invitations because some people will take you for granted because you’re working from home, thus, you will be easily convinced. As a professional, it becomes our responsibility to prioritise our work as we have to meet deadlines. This is why prioritizing work becomes crucial for work from home professionals.

6) No Television, Books Only

Television is a distraction. If you want to achieve something bigger, you have to forgo your pleasures. Make use of time in reading books that improve your communication and vocabulary. I strongly recommend reading at least one page daily before going to bed. I developed this habit some time back as a non-avid reader but one should try to focus on things that are connected to their goals. Books are your best friends. Knowledge is power.

7) No Social Media

I have stopped using social media during working hours and it is perhaps the biggest distraction for everyone today. Make sure your focus is on your work not on WhatsApp or Facebook.

8) Create a Separate Work Space

Create a separate noise-free working environment at home. Make sure your room is spacious, not messed-up and well-ventilated. Separate workspaces become vital, especially for women working from home.

How I Overcome Challenges As A Freelancer

I began working from home as a freelancer in digital marketing. I quit my job 3 years back and switched from the conventional full-time job into a work from home freelancer.

As a freelancer, I was getting better day by day, physically, mentally and financially and my weekly income was way higher than my previous jobs. The only challenge was bearing outside distractions which hampered my productivity and most importantly – focus.

I actually changed the whole scenario with the help of self-discipline and time management. When I look back at my struggles I realise, whether one is working from home or not if they can figure out the loopholes in their daily routine and fill those gaps, things would be easier at home.

In the end, I can vouch for one thing: overcoming challenges by working on your habits will change your entire life.

Featured image for representative purpose only.
Featured image source: bruce mars/Pexels.