India’s Democratic Crisis: “Remember, Your Struggle Is Righteous”

This post is also a part of YKA's user-run series, Excluded - Understanding the CAA and NRC, by Indian Civil Liberties Union, curated by YKA top user Sanobar. Join the conversation by adding a post here.

Be it a stormy day or a rainy night, you always know that once you are home it will be alright. But, what if in your own house, in whose making, you had also played a part, and you had stayed awake for nights to make it stronger, if after a storm, and after having lost everything, the Chowkidar (guard), whom you had appointed, questions you?

What if the chowkidar asks you to prove your affinity to your residence? He does it unrightfully, but at a time when he is armed and powerful. He asks you to bring proof and documentation, what will you do?

Social activists set fire to posters about the National Register of Citizens (NRC) and other civil rights’ issues like the Citizenship Amendment Bill 2019 (CAB) as they demonstrate against the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) led central government, during a protest in Kolkata on December 11, 2019. (Photo by Dibyangshu SARKAR / AFP)

You might call those housemates who had shared the effort and space with you equally, but lo! You only get the support of half of them. And, as if it were not enough, they are being attacked for supporting you by the other half, they are subjected to stones and are described in words that can pain the soul.

The agony of the treason, the sorrow at the spectacle of the brutality on those who stand with not just you, but millions like you, for it is the side of truth topped with the fear of never being able to enter the house again, and for the finishing touch the echoing villainous laughs of the chowkidar.

But, don’t lose hope. Hope had made those landlords in the wrong flee away. Your struggle is righteous, you and the struggle, are backed by an agreement that was the gift of a man who held double doctorate degrees, Have faith, let the courage not die. January 22 may come and go, and whatever it brings, don’t lose hope and courage.

Vatsala Mishra is a class 10th student in UP who has been unable to find any means of participating in a protest and unfortunately enough, many of whose kin support the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA).