Visiting Kaziranga National Park Was An Adventure Of A Lifetime

Visiting Kaziranga National Park, a World Heritage site, has been on my bucket list for a long time. I fulfilled my desire to go there in November 2019; a euphoric memory of a lifetime, to be cherished forever. Since childhood, I have always had compassion for animals. This is an emotion I have carried in my heart, which has also defined me

It was the peak tourist season, with both international and domestic visiting abundance. The morning sun greeted us with a luscious aura, an ambiance delightfully chilly enough to cover ourselves with a light jacket. As we headed into the park in a jeep, we were accompanied by a reluctant forest guard, to prevent any mishaps and attacks from the wild animals. We were prevented from clamoring, even if it was out of astonishment or excitement.

My heart was pounding wildly, entirely engulfed with extreme enthusiasm, as I was told that my gums almost dried off from too much smiling.

Mesmerizing sight of a rhino peacefully sleeping in its own habitat

During our visit, we were welcomed by the sight of a rhino peacefully sleeping from a distance. As we proceed, amidst the tall lush grasses appeared different species of deer.

A few jungle fowls flew past us in a swift process. Exotic migratory birds perched mightily on the tall branches. A herd of wild Asiatic elephants appeared nearby, gracefully sauntering inside the jungle.

I also saw an adorable baby elephant which maximizes the thrill of this adventurous trip as I have always adored them. The enormity of the Asiatic buffalo swept me with amusement as I always pictured them to be just the ordinary size of domesticated cattle.

Red Bully macaques, with their red faces and butts, hovered freely from one branch to another in a blithe atmosphere.

A herd of majestic Asiatic elephants freely wandering without being enchained by tethers

After exploring the whole forests, a rhino appeared within our reach. My naive self was filled with astonishment, wondering if I could go near it. It was aggressively defensive and extremely territorial, and then it disappeared into the wilderness in a few minutes.

Indeed, it was savage; voraciously wild, defensive and territorial

Before my visit to Kaziranga, I saw wild animals in zoos only, behind an enclosure where their freedom is restricted. I’d always tell myself  “If only they could gain the liberty to embrace freedom in the wild.” Seeing them wander freely in their own habitat without human intervention sent chills running to my spine.

Next on my list is to embark on ecstatic journeys in a quest to visit more national parks and sanctuaries, to make memories that will last a lifetime.

Featured image provided by the author.