Quick Byte: In Times Of Outrage On Social Media, What Should We Do?

Scenes from an anti-CAAprotest.

The algorithm of social media shows your anger only to those people who already know what a curse Modi is and share your opinions, fearing they’d lose out on their users. Except for a ‘not-so-useful’ exchange of similar viewpoints, your sharing anything objective/logical on social media does nothing. It’s like monkeys talking to monkeys about their hatred for wheat.

Instead of riling up for a few days when violence is perpetrated, we need to work in times of relative peace. Work in the direction of teaching the kids around us instead to those who already understand. Go out in public and pick up a common man, a police constable perhaps or a merchant at Chandni Chowk, and make them realise the truth of today’s condition. Keep doing whatever you are doing, but change at least one person, instead of sharing the same images and videos on social media.

Do NOT block those who hold opposing opinions; let them be. Do not try to argue with them, let them see what you are saying. In time, they might realise where they are wrong, and they may change. I am educating a bunch of teenagers and I can see the change already.

The problem is the lack of patience in those who hold opposing opinions. However, a common denominator amongst us is that we are the privileged ones, feeling bad for them, whose shoes we dread falling into.

Featured image for representative purpose only.
Featured image source: Pixabay.