Jamia Firing: ‘It Was My Classmate Who Was Shot At Today’

On January 30, 2020, students of Jamia Millia Islamia and many locals had gathered at Jamia to protest against the controversial CAA-NRC and march from Jamia to Rajghat. What came out as a shock was a goon who entered the vicinity, he kept pointing the gun towards the crowd. It has been reported by the people present that he shouted, “Tumhe azaadi chahiye, yeh lo azaadi” (you want freedom? here you go.), and then, pulled the trigger.

The bullet hit a Jamia student on the left hand, and he was taken to the Holy Family hospital. Now, he has been sent to the AIIMS trauma centre. That is all I got to know through my friends and classmates. The student who was shot at is my classmate. 

I swear I am shivering while writing this post. It’s really difficult to type, but that is all I can do right now. It has become very crucial to spread the right word and make the world aware of everything being done by this fascist government.

Are We Truly A Land Of AHIMSA (Non-Violence)? No!!!

After what I witnessed today, all I can say is that there is violence everywhere. Imagine how thousands of students must be feeling right now. Fear, anger, sadness and whatnot, we are all going through a mixture of such feelings. Hearing the news that someone you know was shot sends a chill through the spine. It’s not just me; every student out there is angry and worried.

While some eye witnesses have claimed that the Delhi police stood watching while the goon fired the shot, some news portals have claimed otherwise. But if it’s true, isn’t it their responsibility to ensure the safety of every resident of the capital? Or is their responsibility only limited to the people who favour this fascist government?

It’s very difficult to believe that this is the same country where lakhs of people came together for the NON-VIOLENCE movement against the Britishers. Our friends are being shot mercilessly, and people are celebrating. I personally know many people who believe that those opposing the government should be killed. 

I want to write more, but I am not able to. My current situation isn’t allowing me to do that. All I can say is pray for those who are struggling for the Secularism and Democracy of this country. That’s the least we can do.