Chhapaak Made Me Realise How Badly We Treat Acid Attack Survivors In Our Society

To be honest, I am an emotionally strong person. I was one of those people who would mock others when they would get teary while watching movies since movies are reel and not real.

But trust me on this, I have no shame in confessing that ‘Chhapaak’ was the first movie I watched, where I couldn’t stop my tears. Ignoring my emotional soft corner for the movie, it is important to talk about the brilliant artist that is Deepika. I have massive respect for her! Biopics of unsung heroes are the best to touch hearts and spread the message so beautifully.

A still from the movie Chhapaak

I have read about the acid attack survivor depicted in this film, in newspapers and news channels. But I felt it more in the theatre. I felt it more because I am a girl myself. Things disturbed me more because I’m a girl. I am bound to have empathy for girls as they have been subjected to various atrocities, since forever.

I can’t bear to watch movies about rape cases, acid attacks, suicides, female infanticide, honour killing, eve-teasing, being touched inappropriately, harassment, girls destroying themselves for boys and the like. I really get disturbed, to an extent that I can do anything possible to help out the survivor. This is the reason I say that I want to die working for society. I have that passion to work on these things.

Watching this movie made me think “why are people afraid to accept any person, be it a rape survivor or an acid survivor”? Why does society not treat them as equal members after the wrongs committed against them? I reiterate, that we make society, and it is pertinent that we upgrade our thinking.

But no matter what I say, it still exists. I have personally seen how acid attack survivors are ignored and belittled while commuting. I felt bad, but I was too young then, to do anything. But now, I have taken a pledge that I will train my kids to respect all fellow humans, beyond all barriers. I will make sure how I see everyone equal, will be carried forward through my children.

Attackers destroy faces but not hearts, aims, goals and dreams. Survivors really are an inspiration, asking us not to give up. Fight. Live. And become a motivation for others.

In my opinion, it is a harsh truth, that as a girl, no matter how educated and alarmed you are, you are never ready for the worst. If somebody as much as puts a hand on your shoulder on the road, the normal reaction is that you will turn immediately and be scared.

Yes, acid is on our minds. We need to find solutions that will help us figure out the root of problems like rapes, acid attacks and many other heinous crimes, especially on our women.

This movie will always have a special place in my heart for making me weep for the first time while watching a film. And, once again, humongous respect for Deepika Padukone and the real survivor.