#PeriodPaath: An Open Letter To The Mayor Of Kolkata

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

To the
Honourable Mayor, Kolkata Municipal Corporation

This is a letter in response to the apathy that we in India have towards the menstrual hygiene and the way the education and response towards it is formed. I would urge you as a citizen under your tutelage of being the first citizen of the city that you kindly take steps towards installing vending machines in every locality of Kolkata for free sanitary napkins.

Not only that also a dedicated member in every locality who will take care of the vending machine supplies and the promotion of education in the locality for spreading the message for women hygiene and the need to understand the necessity for the importance of understanding menstrual safety and how important it is for the future of our country. The power of women empowerment can only take place when the right steps are taken for the period path.