Quick Byte: Are We, As A Nation, Failing Our Youth?

While I am always a bit reluctant to write about everything controversial, this was necessary. I am going to write about the violence students in our country have been facing recently. Irrespective of whoever is behind the attacks, I call the gesture unconstitutional, and over everything else, inhuman.

India’s democratic genes do not approve of such attacks. If I go back to the genesis of these acts, it began with students protesting against Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA).The sanctity of CAA is debatable. But a democracy always welcomes debates, discussions and demonstrations, isn’t it? So, the students protesting against the CAA were legitimate in their dissent!

The administration could have accrued to non violent ways of controlling protests. The need of violence stands unjustified. The students in question belong to premier institutions of the country. If we as a nation cannot provide them with open space for discussions, then we are failing.

These premier institutes have been breeding grounds for important stakeholders in the administration of the country. They owe their success to platforms these institutes offered. This makes me question if we stop them questioning, will we continue having more Abhijit Banerjees?

I know I am writing about this issue much later than expected. But I want it this way. I want people to not stop thinking about maturing as a nation. I want us to continue being the progressive nation we were!

Featured image for representative purpose only.