Bengali Celebrities Recreate Varun Grover’s Viral Poem ‘Hum Kagaz Nahi Dikhayenge’

Comedian and Writer, Varun Grover’s Anti-NRC poemHum Kagaz Nahi Dikhayenge’ went viral on social media a few days ago, summing up the sentiments in the minds of many citizens of India, right now. Following the same path, artists from the Bengali film industry have come out with a regional version, voicing their opinions against the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) and National Register of Citizens (NRC).

In the video, can be seen popular personalities from West Bengal, like Sabyasachi Chakraborti, Swastika Mukherjee, Konkona Sen Sharma, Dhritiman Chatterjee and Rupam Islam professing their defiance against showing official papers, if and when a nationwide NRC is implemented.

The video goes a step further, to add that no form of communal hatred can deter the hopes of the citizens of India. Neither a ban on the internet nor batons can curb the powerful slogans against the policies of the current administration.

It emphasises the importance of the Constitution and the national anthem, which happen to be a source of strength, to the numerous people who have been taking to the streets to protest against the discriminatory laws.

Addressing the necessity of the times, it makes it clear that neither Mandir nor Masjid, but freedom, is the sole requirement in the country right now. The video ends with a closing slide of ‘Hum Kagaz Nahi Dikhayenge’ in the different languages spoken in India, thus highlighting the ever-present ‘unity’ in India’s diversity.

Watch the original video: