Millions Expected To Participate In Bharat Bandh Against Govt’s ‘Anti-People’ Policies

Banking and Trade Unions have called for a nationwide strike (Bharat Bandh) on 8th January, to protest against the government’s ‘anti-people’ policies.

All India Central Council of Trade Unions participates in a nationwide strike, on 8th Jan 2020. Image source: AICCTU Delhi Twitter.

The strike was organised by Trade unions, such as the Indian National Trade Union Congress (INTUC) and All India Trade Union Congress, (AITUC), along with eight others, last September after the disinvestment and privatization of the Public Sector Undertakings by the central government. They are joined by Banking Unions, such as All India Bank Officers’ Association, (AIBOA) and Bank Karmachari Sena Mahasangh (BKSM), who are rallying for higher wages for bank employees, and a uniform five day work week.

As a result, banking services like cash withdrawal will cause trouble. Along with banking, other services like transportation are also likely to be affected.

The strike has been met with support from the opposition. Congress Leader Rahul Gandhi even ‘saluted’ the participants in a tweet.

Meanwhile, the central government had issued an order on Tuesday that read, “any employee going on strike in any form would face the consequences which, besides deduction of wages, may also include appropriate disciplinary action”.

The Supreme Court backed the government, stating that participating in the protest is misconduct under the rules and any government employee found guilty will be dealt with by the law.

The strike will be a nation-wide shutdown and over 25 crore people are expected to participate.