#PeriodPaath: Break The Stigma On Menstruation

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

To,

The Government of Telangana

Sub: Break The Stigma On Menstruation

Respected Sir/Madam,

While working with children I’ve identified menstrual practices different communities in Rural, Urban & Tribal areas. Parents and teachers will not discuss on menstruation, they will hide about menstruation with opposite gender will maintain secretly about it. Male siblings brother, father, cousins girls will feel shy and maintain secret about menstruation in families & society. And many myths are in practice after their first menstruation girls are not going to school for 15 days it is affecting their academies.

When we are discussing about menstrual hygiene, before that we need to discuss freely on menstruation. About menstrual hygiene everyone (male & female) need to open up more. Parents should discuss with children, teachers should discuss with students on mensuration. In school colleges, workplace etc..if any girl in menstruation period they need to provide napkins, sanitary products & insulator machine should be available in respective places. In schools about menstruation & menstrual hygiene need to create awareness and also in academics government should include topics like menstruation & menstrual hygiene, how we discuss about hand wash & personal hygiene the same we need to discuss about menstruation. In public toilets napkins, sanitary products should be available everyone should feel free to discuss openly.

Parents and teachers need to take initiative with the help of education  department, NGOs’s etc..local community stake holders. Education & awareness plays a key role in maintaining menstrual hygiene. Bad cultural practices need to be address at community level to provide intervention.

Sincerely,

Priyanka Padidala,

Social Mobilizer,

Hyderabad,

Room To Read India Trust.