Australia Plans To Kill Thousands Of Camels To Curb Emissions. What’s The Logic?

Australia, where millions of animals are dying due to an uncontrollable fire. The whole world and animal lovers are praying for them. But, there is another heart breaking news coming from Australia.

The Australian government ordered to kill thousands of camels in their territory and the reason behind this act? They want to reduce carbon foot print. But is this is a logical reason?

Feral camels in Australia’s Northern Territory. (Photo: Free Aussie Stock/Official Website)

Camels have always been viewed with hatred in Australia. They are considered invasive and have always recieved scorn.

Another reason behind the mass murder is, camels drink about 200 litres of water (about 20 buckets) in just 3 minutes. It can be really a matter of concern for the continent, which is already struggling with a water crisis, but even then, is killing camels justified?

After all, why have water crises risen around the world today? Who is responsible for carbon emissions worldwide?

Australian authorities say, 20 lakh tons of carbon is produced yearly by 10 lakh camels. Meaning every camel produces 2 tons of carbon per year. The interesting thing is, a small car can produce 4.6 tons of carbon in a year. This is double the amount than what a single camel will produce.

Since Australia is the second largest carbon producer after America, one can understand the pressure to control carbon emissions. But to do so, does it seem more appropriate to kill camels than to reduce the number of cars? Ironically, to reduce carbon emissions, the Australian government is neither trying to reduce its coal based industry nor automobiles.

The Australian government and the people should also think and understand that it is not just human beings who have the right to natural resources but every living being does.

We cannot punish animals for our creations. We should eliminate the problems that we have created on our own strength. Wildlife has already suffered the punishment of our acts and many have disappeared as a result.

Featured image for representative purpose only.
Featured image source: Irshadpp/Wikimedia Commons.