Is Traditional Advertising Relevant In Times Of Social Media?

In the earlier days, advertisements used to be placed only in newspapers or hoardings and posters were put physically for publicity. A dugdugi (tom-tom drum) was thrashed in villages and towns. People spread messages/announcements through loudspeakers in carts or rickshaws, in order to promote fair circus, cinemas, etc. This method of propagation was popular.

However, today the world of advertising is changing rapidly. Earlier, the advertisements were shown at the beginning of the cinema or during the interval, but now the cinema has many options where ads are shown at intervals of five to ten minutes for the duration of a few seconds. Only then can you proceed further, with the introduction of web series, YouTube, Netflix, etc. the scope of advertising has become wider.

Mobile journalism has boomed in India recently. with increased smartphone and internet access, young people are more clued in online than ever.

TikTok has given an opportunity for people living in small towns in India to become popular. Now e-commerce websites and big brands are making TikTok suiting the interest of their customers. Today, Voice Assistant has also emerged as a major advertising base. Various mobile phone companies are manufacturing mobiles equipped with voice assistant feature. About 82% of smartphone users in India are currently using voice assistant technology.

Now, people send voice messages instead of typing text on WhatsApp. This technique is also being used in searching for information on Google, using Google Maps, etc.

At the moment, India’s economy is sluggish. Yet it is being said that India will be one of the world’s top advertising markets in the year 2020. According to an estimate, the advertising market will grow at a rate of 12 to 13% this year. At this pace, the size of the advertising market this year could be ₹95,000 crores.

It is also being said that this year India will be one of the top advertising markets in the world. Additionally, internet or digital advertising this year witnessed the highest growth rate of 3%.

Nowadays, the trend of showing negative advertisements has also started mostly in political advertisements. In a changing environment, the microblogging platform Twitter is calling for a ban on political advertisements.

Not only this, there is talk of banning such advertisements on other big platforms like Facebook. In fact, the internet is a powerful and effective medium of advertising for advertisers, as it directly affects the voters and their views.

There has been a long-standing demand for regulators to come into existence to regulate advertisements on the Internet and social sites. According to Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg, it is not easy for private companies to put a stop to leaders or news in a democracy, because advertising is a great means of earning for businesses or companies.

In the changed environment, both the condition and the direction of advertisements have changed, with the market growth, the possibility of business has increased, which the traders are exploiting well.

Featured image for representative purpose only.
Featured image source: Garry Knight/Flickr.