An Open Letter To Bhakts, From A Concerned Citizen

Dear ‘educated’ apologists and bhakts,

I don’t like to address my fellow citizens this way, but I think I have to choose today to address all of you this way.

This is a wake-up call for all of you.

Humans are an animal who keep lying to themselves.

All these years you kept deceiving yourself by legitimising this regime and this type of politics. Now, do you see the reality around you? How is our economy or our employment situation, the ethics in our politics like honesty, empathy, mutual respect, higher education, our law and order, women’s safety, public institutions?

Are we getting more united or divided? I am not going to state any figures or stats here. It’s already in the public sphere and you might have already gone through it and if not, you can easily look it up.

I simply state two reasons why you keep lying to each other (you can accuse me of lack of reference of data, but I am not writing an academic paper. I am simply speaking ).

There is a mass craving for an alpha male leader. It is a psychological hangover from our own primitive age, which will only take us back to that age. Look up the history of mankind (you know it better than me). This craving never brought us a better world. Be it Hitler, Stalin or Mao, they never created a world with more liberal or humanitarian values. That is very much present in your psyche.

The second thing is hatred. We, Indians, are different and diverse. We all have reasons to hate each other. We have all been unfair to each other at some point or the other in the past. We are intolerant of others who are different from us in varying degrees. But, at the end of the day, when we say “all Indians are my brothers and sisters,” we mean it, about each and every one.

It is those brothers and sisters whom they want you to hate, expel from this country. Are you really going to let it happen? All siblings hate each other and fight each other. But, what if one is been taken away from your home? Will you let it happen? You know that’s what it makes it home.

You and I are born into a great country. A country with a great history, legacy, and ethos. I hope that our children too will be born into the country, holding their heads with the same dignity.

History will move ahead even without you or me. In Germany, an entire generation lived with the guilt of having succumbed to illusion and servility.

I am no one to instruct you. It is up to you to take the call, to choose where you have to stand.

Yours faithfully,
Athul
Your fellow citizen.