A Message To People Who Are Questioning Whether They Voted For The Right Political Party

Dear People, who don’t want to talk about politics, because, what’s the point?

I feel you. You are scared. You don’t know what to think. You trusted somebody and they betrayed you. You don’t know who and what to believe anymore. You just want all this ‘nonsense’ to stop. You don’t know much and frankly, you don’t care. You just want to work hard, and keep your family safe and healthy, and make enough money to live a decent, normal life. You don’t want to worry about amendments and constitutional laws. That’s not your job. This is why you hired the government. So you can avoid all This. I feel you.

Anti-CAA protests have erupted across the nation.

All this commotion, protests and anger are scary. You don’t know what is going to happen. A part of you thinks and hopes that this will die down eventually. Somebody will make some decision somewhere, and it’s not going to make a difference in your life. Meanwhile, you can manage your conscience and fear, by rewatching something on Netflix. And that looming anxiety you feel all the time, you can ‘foodstagram’ that for now.

It’s not like you don’t have an opinion though. You know what’s happening. You have seen all those forwards on WhatsApp groups. You are not an idiot. You are smart enough to know what is what. You have seen it over these last few years. You have not told anybody this but, you have secretly questioned your own vote and judgement from six years ago. That is why you didn’t vote two years ago. And you have seen your trust being pinched. Dare I say, abused? I feel you.

But, you kind of stayed with it. After all, maybe they know what they are doing. You might not approve of their methods but their intentions might be good, right? Also, maybe they are smarter than you. You don’t know or understand what it takes to manage a country as complicated and unmanageable as ours. So much history, so many cultures, so much baggage. Maybe they know how to sort it out. I feel you.

Yes, they have made you question your own intelligence and self-worth over and over, but what if you are just overthinking it? Anyway, you knew all politicians are liars. You were a fool to think that something could actually, really change with your vote that first time. Whatever. It is a lost cause now. No point arguing or taking sides. So, it is just better not to get into it. Better not to say anything. You don’t want to invite or create more agitation than already exists. You don’t want to add to the chaos. I feel you.

Plus you don’t need all this in your life right now. You have enough to worry about. Your parents’ health, that loan you took out, your appraisal that’s coming up. You want to start a family or at the least go on a decent date. Where is the time for all this?

I feel you.

I feel you.

And they feel you too.

And they are counting on you. They are counting on your fear, self-doubt, distraction denial and they are counting on your silence.