Delhi Police Registers FIR Against Injured JNUSU President Aishe Ghosh And 19 Others

The Delhi Police have filed an FIR against Aishe Ghosh, JNUSU (Jawaharlal Nehru University Students’ Union) President, and 19 others for attacking security guards and vandalising the server room of the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) on January 4.

The police registered the FIR on January 5 under

• IPC Section 323 (Punishment for voluntarily causing hurt)
  • IPC Section 341 (Punishment for wrongful restraint)
  • IPC Section 506 (Punishment for criminal intimidation)
  • 34 of the Indian Penal Code section 3 of Prevention Of Damage to Public Property Act 1984.

The FIR says,

“At this time the following indulged in physical violence, pushed the lady guards, verbally abused them and threatened them with dire consequences if they would open the lock of the CIS office.”

Interestingly, the FIR was filed on Sunday, January 5, around the same time, when the mob violence broke out on the JNU campus. Nearly 50 masked people armed with sticks, hammers, and stones damaging the college property, attacking 34 students, faculty, and a nine-doctor AIIMs team, and seriously injuring them.

Aishe Ghosh was hit over the eye by the masked attackers with an iron rod in the same mob violence.

“I have been brutally beaten up by masked people. I don’t know who they were,” said Aishe Ghosh.

Apart from Ms Ghosh, the 19 students’ names against whom the FIR has been registered include Saket Moon, Satish Yadav, Sarika Chaudhary, G Suresh, Krish Jaiswal, Vivek Kumar, Gautam Sharma, Vasakar, V Mech, Apekha Priyadarshi, Shreya Ghosh, Sweta Kashyap, Sambhavit Siddhi, Vivek Kumar Pandey, Raju Kumar, Manas Kumar, Chunchu Yadav, Kamaran, Dolan and Geeta Kumari.

JNUSU president Aishe Ghosh addresses the media after an alleged attack by ABVP students on campus.

Tussle Between JNU Officials And Students

The JNU officials allege that mob violence is due to the students’ protests over an increase in the hostel fees.

“They illegally trespassed the University property with the criminal intent to damage the public property. They damaged servers and made it dysfunctional. They also damaged fiber optic power supplies and broke the biometric systems inside the room.”

However, Aishe Ghosh, elected as JNUSU President last year, denied the University officials’ claims saying that it was a made-up story by JNU administration with no proof.

“I have not done any violence. The police first need to have proof against me to take action.

There was no such incident (in the server room). I have proof of voice messages. There are call records showing guards are beating up students in the server room. ABVP activists came and literally lynched Satish (JNUSU Secretary Satish Chandra Yadav).

The Jawaharlal Nehru University Teachers’ Federation (JNUTF) threatened us recently amid the ongoing protest against fee hike. We want amicable resolution.”

Since the Sunday mob attack by masked individuals, ABVP, the BJP-linked student group, and Left-backed students’ groups have been accusing each other of the violence.