This Healthcare Startup Has Developed Affordable Exoskeletons For Persons With Disabilities

GenElek Technologies, a start-up in healthcare is working on externally worn robotic exoskeletons that can enhance a human’s limbic capabilities. As per reports, more than five million people in India are suffering from mobility problems. GenElek Technologies aims to help such people suffering from paralysis, stroke, spinal cord injury, and other neurological conditions.  The exoskeleton assists specially-abled people to walk again while making them self-reliant and independent.

The company aims to tie up with 25 hospitals, physiotherapy clinics and rehabilitation institutes in the first six months. The exoskeleton model has been created in a lightweight and modular form which enables easy accessibility and usage of the system at home too. It also helps physiotherapists increase the much-needed care and standards of therapy.

The device has been created in a way that helps people from preventing chronic diseases like diabetes and high blood pressure. Issues like bed-sores which are a major cause of concern in paralyzed persons can be avoided using exoskeletons.

John Kujur, Founder, GenElek Technologies said, “We aim at creating a revolutionary technology in the field of medical science. We are on a mission to make this technology affordable; hence, we are in collaboration with leading hospitals, rehabilitation and NGOs. We aim to reach out to 50,000 Indian people who do not have the spending power for using such technology as compared to countries on a global platform. Safety is our priority in this technology, hence, the system comes with multiple sensors to protect people from infection as well as from system failure.”

With exoskeleton, we also aim to add other intangible benefits like dedicated medical experts, occupational therapy, and counseling,” he further added.

GenElek is incubated at Electropreneur Park which is an initiative of the Ministry of Electronics and IT and managed by STPI and implemented by IESA. GenElek Technologies will also be representing India in Cybathlon 2020, Zurich in the Powered Exoskeleton Race discipline.

You can support Team GenElek to participate in Cybathlon 2020 by donating here.