How Can You Step up And Take Climate Action On Earth Day 2020?

WhyOnEarth logo mobEditor’s Note: Are you bothered by the drastic changes in our climate, causing extreme weather events and calamities such as the Kerala Floods? #WhyOnEarth aims to take the truth to the people with stories, experiences, opinions and revelations about the climate change reality that you should know, and act on. Have a story to share? Click here and publish.

Earth Day’s 50th anniversary is on April 22, 2020. A question asked by many is  ‘What can individuals and institutions do to mark this?“Lots. Everything counts. No act is too small” is what we say.

2020 is a pivotal year for the future of our planet, and Earth Day 2020 campaigns will bring people together to make our common home, Earth – cleaner, greener, a less polluted place to live in, where the natural capital grows and does not diminish.

Earth Day Network India Coordinator, Vikas Evam Shikshan Samiti, (VESS) – an NGO based in Varanasi, is working with local organisations and youth groups to realise this vision and sensitise the youth on environmental issues. VESS led a 7-day long Climate Action Week in Varanasi from September 20-27, 2019. Conducted jointly with the C&D Girls unit-National Service Scheme (NSS) volunteers of Arya Mahila P.G. College, Varanasi and District Environmental Committee Varanasi, National Green Tribunal, Government of India, the program had a participation of over 450 girl students as volunteers. They held a rally to sensitise and talk to people of Varanasi about climate change and its impacts, using slogans and placards.

In the same spirit, Faculty of Visual Arts in Banaras Hindu University organised a poster- cum drawing competition, on the last day of Climate Week on September 27, 2019. The theme of the competition was ‘Climate Change’. Over 375 students took part in the competition and they displayed their posters and paintings in the department for other students and faculty to see. Approximately 2000 students took part, and these campaigns led to many significant deliberations, commitments and sensitisation on climate issues.

Our Earth needs more environmental stewards like them for collective green actions. For Earth Day 2020, you can take part to help protect and restore our planet: from joining a cleanup, a climate action rally, to using art to voice your concern for climate and hosting an environmental event in your own community! There is a lot each of us can do. Let us make 2020 a year for climate action! Learn more about Earth Day 2020 here.