Quick Byte: West Bengal’s Dobisha Is A Model Village That Our Cities Can Learn From

Dobisha, a village located in West Medinipur district in the state of West Bengal, is a model green village. A year ago, this village had no access to electricity. Today, all 50 households run on solar energy. This renewable energy is also used to run irrigation pumps, street lights, and computers in a learning center. In addition, the village has installed a ‘clean drinking water ATM‘.

The Maa Shitala Solar Model Village Committee led by villagers themselves made this possible. The committee is for the villagers and by the villagers. Dobisha’s success as a self-sufficient, sustainable village that meets its energy requirements with fossil fuel-free energy and has made provisions for clean water for its inhabitants. It is an excellent example for other villages, and even cities, to emulate.

Dobisha Village has been named as a ‘Star Village’ by Earth Day Network India as part of its initiative launched on October 22. The launch marks a six-month countdown to Earth Day’s 50th anniversary on April 22, 2020, and each month a star village will be named. The next star village will be announced on December 22, and subsequent ones on the 22nd of each month.

This video will tell you more about Dobisha village:

Earth Day Network Star Village, November 2019: Dobisha, West Medinipur, West Bengal

Announcing the Earth Day Network Star Village, November 2019: Dobisha, West Medinipur, West Bengal.Did you know that a year ago this village had no access to electricity? It is now a model solar village with 50 households having sustainable energy access, a drinking water ATM, solar irrigation pump, solar street lights and a computer learning centre. Maa Shitala Solar Model Village Committee is for the villagers, by the villagers.Dobisha's success as a self-sufficient, sustainable village that produces its own electricity and clean water is an excellent example for other villages to emulate.Watch out for announcements of other Star villages on the 22nd of every month as a countdown to Earth Day’s 50th anniversary on April 22, 2020.Please like and share the video.

Posted by Earth Day Network-India on Friday, November 22, 2019