India: The Land Of ‘Ahimsa’ For The World, But Not Its People

India is the land of Buddha and Gandhi; they lived for peace and suffered for peace. On  the global level as well, India is a land of non-violence, as India’s Prime Minister denied signing the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. It shows that India is concerned about peace. India is the land of Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam (the world is one family); we cannot harm any other country. 

But when it comes to its own people, it is evident from  cases of growing intolerance, that India is not non-violent — the Dadri lynching and killing of SHO in Bulandshahar stand as grim reality, even as Gandhiji preached for Hindu-Muslim unity. Moreover, cases of assault and violence against women are increasingly being reported. Rampant cases of violence against the Dalit community and people from lower castes is what led Gandhiji to establish ‘Harijan’ welfare programs. 

Members of Dalit community staged a protest when there was an alleged dilution of Scheduled Castes / Scheduled Tribes Act in 2018, in New Delhi. (Photo by K Asif/The India Today Group via Getty Images)

Violence manifested in any form is destructive, since it  benefits no one. In this scenario, Gandhiji’s ideals assert special importance. This is evident through his philosophy being practiced in different parts of the world, as well as enshrined in our Constitution under the Directive Principles of State Policy (DPSP). 

Therefore, it can be said that Gandhiji’s ideas of truth and non-violence are an important tool in  present times. But today, his ideas should be professed by the people of India and the world in a more pronounced form, in order to establish independence, in real time, while, progressing on the path of ‘ahimsa’.

As we are showing commitment towards peace at a global level, India should show that this is the land of Gandhi, and no person can harm anyone on  this land of Ahimsa.