Quick Byte: An Air Of Dictatorship And Intolerance Looms Over India

I have repeated this oath every single day in school; “India is my country and all Indians are my brothers and sisters….”

A protester holds a placard during a demonstration against India’s new citizenship law in Mumbai on December 27, 2019. – Mobile internet was cut on December 27 in parts of India’s most populous state and thousands of riot police were deployed as authorities readied for fresh protests over a citizenship law seen as anti-Muslim. (Photo by INDRANIL MUKHERJEE / AFP)

We’ve all been taught that religious barriers existed during the time of partition and British used the policy of ‘Divide and Rule’ to secure their position in India. As a child, I never had any interest in politics, but the recent scenarios of the nation have managed to get every individual’s attention. We talk about unity, secularism and cultural aspects that India consists of, and also the diversity of people living in India.

When I come across the news headlines or any article stating the current situation of the ongoing protests, attacks on educational institutions, degrading economy, rape cases, murders, mob lynching and so on, it is utterly devastating to see our nation in such a situation. A dialogue between the government and the people does not exist anymore and there is an air of complete dictatorship and intolerance, towards anyone who is protesting against the decision made by the Central government.

Earlier, politics was for the people and now it seems as if it is against the people or any form of intelligence that is trying to question it. I mean, is there any scope left for things to get worse? Obviously, it’s not just the government that needs to change, but the people of the country as well. We need to focus on the real issues and not just debate on the problems. We need an effective solution to be implied. Things are changing, but not leading to a happy ending.

It’s high time for us to unite, reform and fight together as one nation.