Quick Byte: With Increasing Incidents Of Hate Crimes, Are We ‘The Land Of Ahimsa’?

“A man may be destroyed but not defeated,” said Ernest Hemingway.

India is a country which has been following the idea of ‘non-violence.‘ But, in recent years, there has been an increase in incidents of hate crimes and communal violence.

Protests erupted across India, after a spate of lynchings by vigilantes.

According to data by IndiaSpend, “over the six years since 2012, 29 persons have been killed in cow-related hate violence, 25 of whom were Muslim.”

And, how can anyone forget the brutal killing of a 52-year-old Muslim man, Akhlaq, by a mob of villagers in Dadri? A police inspector, named Subodh Kumar Singh, who was, incidentally, the investigating officer of the Dadri lynching case, was also killed due to mob violence, in Bulandshahar.

The sad truth is that a member of Parliament, from the ruling party, praised the murderer of Mahatma Gandhi by calling him a nationalist.

Such incidents are nothing but a dark spot on the ‘idea’ of India that had been given by the father of our nation.

Do you find online payments safe?

Take this survey and help companies and the government make online payments safer for you.

Take the Survey