The Attack On JNU Students Is Nothing But A War Against Free Thinking

The repeated attack on the students of JNU, one of the best educational institutions of our country, is not just the fight of students. It actually seems to be a government-sponsored attack to stop free thinkers.

Since the last few years, student voices have been crushed continuously. The recent attacks on Jamia, Jadavpur, and AMU are also very disturbing.

This is not the first time JNU students were attacked, but it is the darkest attack on the premier institution. It was clear cut that this was a pre-planned cold-blooded attack on the intellectuals of JNU.

The goons, allegedly the right-wing, not only beat up the teachers, but also the lecturers there including women. They also entered the hostel.

The JNUSU President and other students were beaten up very badly. Videos show that masked men entered the premises and beat teachers and students with iron rods. Here, the question arises: how did they enter the premises? Not to forget that JNU is a closed campus and ID cards are checked at the entry gate. Then, how did these goons enter without any involvement of the administration, and why has the VC not come to the rescue of his students?

Later, when the police arrived, why did they wait outside and not enter the premises immediately? One can remember that recently, when Javed Akhtar questioned how the police entered Jamia, he was told that as per the law, the police doesn’t require any permission to enter campuses to perform their duty. Then why did the police not take necessary action immediately?

Outside the campus too, Yogendra Yadav was manhandled by the goons at which point the police didn’t take any effective action either.

It is a clear message that in a country where the youth has a share of 35%, student voices will be always crushed if it is against the government.

What is very surprising that many of today’s leaders were once students and student leaders themselves, but now, they are so arrogant that they don’t even want to listen to the students’ voices.

It is not about a simple student fight over something simple like a registration process. Teachers were stone pelted! It is a clear war of ideology and it seems that the government is sponsoring these attacks to crush the voice of dissent.

No wonder that now, these students will be branded as anti-national as social media messages will be circulated questioning their loyalty towards the country and people will follow these messages forgetting basic law, rules, and reason. The same people will also give them a certificate, who themselves would never be able to qualify for any course at JNU.

More than 20 students have been injured, including two who are critical; the meeting of the Teachers’ Association was also attacked but PM Modi has no time to address the issue, even the VC is also nowhere is the whole scene.

Why is the government entering an institution unlawfully? It seems this is only because JNU is known for leftist ideology which does not suit the present government.

The Delhi Police, which comes under the Home Ministry, was not able to arrest anyone from the scene. Why wasn’t action taken here, whereas it was taken at Jamia or AMU? When will all 7 BJP MPs of Delhi ask for the resignation of Home Minister Amit Shah for this failure?

Now, could the police explain why in one case, they wait for the VC’s permission and in other cases, they enter women’s hostels directly despite the law prohibiting them to enter universities in the line of performing the duty?

Could it be possible that when the police did receive the first call, whatever happened at Sabarmati could have been stopped? In any case, why was it not stopped?

It’s high time people understand the arrogance of the centre towards the voice of dissent and that in reality, it is the BJP who wants to change the history as per their convenience. It is ruthlessly crushing all those who are criticising them or asking valid questions. JNU is a place known for its debates and discussions due to its left-wing identity. But now, the right-wing seems to have started the violence at JNU with the backup of the government. I believe the right-wing is best known for its nuisance value.

There are a lot of questions and a high-level inquiry is required. It i also required that the people, in general, should stand with the students irrespective of their ideology. Having right or left ideology is not a crime and the government should keep a distance from the educational institutions. At least,these students can show their degree and are genuine students, not the actual goons.

The culture of cultivation of hate politics and creating an atmosphere of fear will never help the development of the country. What can develop the nation is a free atmosphere where one can talk easily without any fear of the government. The government is tarnishing the image of JNU and in such circumstances, students will be bound to think many times before seeking admission.