No Arrests By Delhi Police Even After Videos From JNU Attack Go Viral

It has been more than 24 hours since the attack on the JNU Campus took place. The peaceful atmosphere of the university turned into a zone of fear, riots, and violence when a mob barged in and attacked the students and teachers, and vandalised the campus.

A college campus is supposed to be the most protected area for students. However, everything that has been going on, especially in the case of Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI) and Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) has set a precedent of unimaginable terror in the minds of all those who aspire to study in such institutions.

Destruction in the wake of the armed mob who went on a rampage through JNU.

Isn’t this one of the biggest examples of an outrageous violation of the right to safety? The most surprising part of this entire issue has been the feeble attitude of the authorities who are entitled to take action.

When asked, the Delhi Police stated that the entire thing was an on-campus scuffle between students. Eyewitnesses said that around 50 masked goons began the act of violence by beating up the students and also the professors trying to protect the students. JNUSU vice-president Saket Moon said, “The police have been on the campus since afternoon, but they have done nothing.” Others pointed to the delay in calling in the police and their failure to make any arrest.

Union Home Minister Amit Shah asked the Delhi police to prepare a detailed report about the same. Along with this, the student union has demanded the resignation of the Vice-Chancellor. However, not a single arrest has been made, as yet, in this case.

Jawaharlal Nehru University Student Union (JNUSU) President Aishe Ghosh after she was attacked on January 5.

The important question is, why the delay in making arrests when the culprits can be easily identified from the video clips, social networking sites, and the screenshots of WhatsApp messages that are being circulated? What, or who, is stopping the police from taking any action?

A total of 34 people have been injured, including students and teachers. The police have even stated that some of the goons have been clearly identified and complaints are being lodged.

Meanwhile, there have been many attempts to manipulate the narrative, as the TV news channels, like Times Now, have been showing certain counter revelations. The unnecessary delay in arrests is paving the way for the miscreants to distort facts in their own way.

Meanwhile, other major universities in India have come forward in absolute solidarity with JNU. Jadavpur University had called for a peaceful protest on January 6, Monday, at around 2 PM. The scenario turned violent after an alleged clash between the BJP and CPM supporters, which was followed by a lathi-charge on the students and protesters by the police.

The situation across the country has intensified further. While the students of the Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) took out a candlelight march, students in Hyderabad held a demonstration, accompanied by students from Pune’s Film and Television Institute of India (FTII).

The recent addition to the row of protests from across the country was the peaceful protest held at the Gateway of India, in Mumbai, led by the students of Tata Institute of Social Sciences and IIT.

Protest at Gateway Of India, Mumbai. Image credit: Seema Chishti/Twitter.

Witnessing the increasingly fascist attitude of the ruling party and their supporters, are we in the process of becoming Germany from 1939? If not, then the government must put everything aside and take this as the top priority.

Jawaharlal Nehru University Student Union (JNUSU) President, Aishe Ghosh, said, “Yesterday’s attack was an organised attack by goons of RSS and ABVP. Since the past 4-5 days, violence was being promoted on the campus by some RSS affiliated professors and ABVP.”