#RightToPeriod: Why Policies Around Menstrual Hygiene India Need A Top-down Approach

Period Paath logoEditor’s Note: This article is a part of #Periodपाठ, a campaign by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC, to highlight the need for better menstrual hygiene management among menstruating persons in India. Join the conversation to take action and demand change! The views expressed in this article are the author’s and are not necessarily the views of the partners.

What Is The Right To Period Campaign?

It is a social and behavioral campaign that is designed towards changing the outset of the MHM (Menstrual Hygiene Management) policy framework.

Why Right To Period Is Different?

Right to Period does not aim towards correcting the wrongs of our society; rather, it focuses on feeding the correct knowledge to our system so that the corresponding output turns out to be a progressive result in itself.

It has largely been observed that the MHM policy framework in our nation suffers from a huge setback in the sense of assessing the urgency of reforms. The main reason that can be attributed to this factor is the presence of ineffective policy framing and insensitivity towards this issue. Leaving out certain millennial generation and few sections of the senile population that are open to talk and make the change, most of the population still respond in the given way:

While men say, “Yeh ladkiyon ki samasya hai, humko kya karna”, (This is a women’s issue, why should we care?)

Women say, “Iske baarein m baat kyun karni hai, koi zaroorat nahi”. (Why talk about it, there’s no need).

MHM policy planning should be done according to the required needs of the on-ground reality, Image only for representation.

This has to change as soon as possible. Our society cannot attain sustainability if we are willing to ignore MHM as an integrated concept to our survival. Therefore, this campaign is a little start in that direction; it hopes to remodel the entire period-related education in the school system, making MHM a part of the mainstream agenda in the Indian administrative set-up. 

Why This Goal?

It’s very simple. The idea is to capture the minds of children at an early age when they are still growing and discovering things. It is easier to inculcate ethics and morales and thinking at that level than changing the hard-cage mindset of adult individuals. 

This way, we do not have to wait for the younger generation to speak out on the issue when they face bias in their area of work or academics. 

How Are We Planning To Tackle This Heavy Task?

The campaign will start from a very simple and easy checkpoint, where it will see the culmination of stories from different domains affecting the MHM situation in the country and how the current set-up is unable to cope up with the rising aspirations.

Along with it, the questionnaires and inspection conduct will be carried out in various schools to assess the implementation of SBM (Swachh Bharat Abhiyan) guidelines on MHM along with the co-operation of school authorities.

What Is Our Aim?

To influence the MHM policy planning according to the required needs of the on-ground reality, instead of making it a top-down ideal phenomenon where acts and rules and guidelines end up being a toothless tiger.

Featured image only for representation purposes. Source: Flickr