Crossing Republic , GH-6,
24 January 2020
WWW.YOUTH KI AWAAZ
Subject= Menstrual Hygiene
My name is Devyanshi Gaur .I study in Delhi Public School Indirapuram .As it is rightly said,”To abuse and deprive her ,
Periods is just one of the taboos created by the so called civilized society who left no stone unturned to make her feel
her birth as a curse.”
The menstrual cycle is the regular change that occurs in the female reproductive system .Menstruation is a experience
unique to girls . Over 77% of menstruating girls and women use old rags and cloth which is often reused . Over 88% of
women in India are forced to use ashes , newspapers , dried leaves . 23% of girls are dropped out of school when they
start menstruating . There are over 355 million menstruating women and girls in India . 28 millions of women are forced
or stopped to a comfortable experience with menstrual cycle.
Myths,beliefs and,practices related to menstruation in India –
1. Women (especially in rural areas ) are not allowed to cook or even enter the kitchen because it is believed that their “uncleanliness” will spoil the food . 55% of girls and women in India believe that they can not cook or enter the kitchen during or 4 days after menstruation.
2. Women cannot water the plants.
3. Girls cannot be in classrooms or schools with other students while menstruating .
4. Women are not allowed to enter “clean” or “holy” places like temples.
5. Women cannot communicate or talk to a male during menstruation . 20%of girls in rural areas believe this myth.
6. Menstruation is a disease according to a UNICEF study . But that’s wrong Menstruation is a natural and healthy process and there is nothing to be ashamed about it . I understand that growth is painful , change is painful, but its beautiful.
During menstruation personal hygiene is very important as it lowers the risk of urinary infections . Here are some tips every women should
follow to maintain personal hygiene –
1. Keep your vaginal area clean-
It is necessary to keep your vaginal area clean generally during menstruation when their is blood discharge from the body . We should use hot water and adulterated soap to remove the dirt . We can even use suggested labia washes available in the market.
Never use two pads at the same time-
Some women who struggle with heavy flow , attend to 2 pads . But at the same time it can heart the human body. As it can increase the level of impurities . So we should use only on at a time.
Switching the pads at the right time –
If you apply sanitary pads , remember to change it every 4 hours . If you’re not comfortable to change it every 4 hours then do it only on the first 2 days and every 8 hours on the rest of the days.
Wear disinfected satisfying clothes –
It is essential to wear comfortable clothes during the discharge . Tight or uncomfortable underwear or clothes stop the skin from breathing which at times lead to ineffective results .
Use biodegradable sanitary napkins instead of non-biodegradable sanitary napkins.
If we are given a choice of some healthy and fresh apples and some rotten apples. So why are we buying the so called branded sanitary napkins from the market ? You will be shocked to hear that it is made up of a polythene sheet which involves chemicals, toxic gases and many harmful material which can infect the sensitive feminine parts. It is harmful for the human body as well as for the environment . Therefore it is called non-biodegradable . It can even lead to harmful diseases like cancer etc. The biodegradable napkins are made up of pine fiber and other natural fibers . Therefore it is Eco -friendly and can be decomposed easily . It prevents diseases . It is even very comfortable and good for the skin especially for the women who have sensitive skins . Even some NGOs are distributing these biodegradable sanitary napkins to women who don’t even know that sanitary napkins are used during periods or free of cost to women who cannot afford these sanitary napkins.
Eating is as important as anything during the menstrual cycle . It is very essential to eat during periods as there is loss of iron during this time and to prevent that loss we should eat some of the following –
1. Salmon (helps ease period cramps).
2. Bananas (helps from preventing an irregular bowel movement).
3. Dark chocolate(the best period comfort food).
4. Broccoli (helps in nourishing the body ).
5. Oranges (helps relieve anxiety and depression ).
6. Watermelons,figs and plums (prevents the loss that occurs during periods).
7. Lemons (helps swing the mood).
8. Eggs (contains iron , fat soluble vitamins , essential fatty acids and proteins ).
“WE SHOULD NOT FEEL ASHAMED TO TALK ABOUT PERIODS, IF YOU DON’T KNOW NOTHING ABOUT , ITS A NATURAL PROCESS ‘IF NO PERIODS NO GIRLS AND NO BOYS TOO ‘
“WE ARE BLESSED TO BLEED”