#PeriodPaath: Menstrual Hygiene 4

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

Hello, my name is Akshita Gupta. I am from Delhi Public School, Indirapuram.

Menstruation is a natural, normal biological process experienced by all adolescent girls and women, yet not spoken openly about to avoid unnecessary shame and embarrassment. India’s 113 million adolescent girls are particularly vulnerable at the onset of menarche. At this time, we all need a safe environment that offers protection and guidance to ensure basic health, well being and educational opportunity. At home, we are all helped by our moms for maintaining proper hygiene and a safe period cycle. In urban areas we are quite open-minded, and this process is no longer considered shameful but what about the girls and women of urban areas? They are not given proper health care facilities and are not allowed to enter temples, kitchens. And other illogical and wrong methods are practiced. This is where ‘Menstrual Hygiene  Management (MHM)’ should be encouraged for women and girls who are not given the basic sanitation material during their periods. When we talk about menstrual hygiene, this includes ensuring proper hygiene during menses and eating right is the key to ease the pain. To keep oneself hygienic we should practice some essential sanitation tips: –

1. Changing sanitary napkins every 4-6 hours.
  2. Washing oneself properly.
  3. Disposing properly.
  4. Avoiding consumption of salty foods and caffeine.
  5. Wearing loose and dark colored lowers to prevent staining.

The motive of menstrual hygiene is to ensure that women and girls should manage their periods in a way that is not only healthy but that enables their full participation at school, work or any other activities. Through this let’s all pledge to break the silence around periods and learn to take care of our health, body and mind and be shameless about our body processes.