#PeriodPaath: Menstrual Hygiene

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

MENSTRUAL CYCLE 

Menstrual Cycle is a thing every teen experiences.They usually start at the age of eleven to fifteen. It usually occurs 3-5 days every month. Most people feel pain in their tummy during these days. The flow is usually light, sometimes a little heavy.

SYMPTOMS

Most of the women complain about common symptoms like cramps,mood changes,tender breasts,feeling tired etc. Usually these symptoms are mild and can be taken care of easily. But sometimes these can get very severe and painful.

ACNE

ACNE

HYGIENE

Hygiene is very important as if it is not properly taken care of, you may suffer from  infection. In order to maintain proper hygiene, you may follow the following methods:

• Change sanitary pads every 3-4 hours.
  • Carry extra pads to school, collage, work etc.
  • Wash those ares regularly.
  • Keep the private areas dry.
  • Don’t leave the same pads on throughout the day even if it is not entirely wet.
  • During these days, maintain a healthy diet.

These are some basic hygiene methods.

MISSED A PERIOD

Missing a period does not always mean pregnancy. Here are some possibilities of missing a period.

• Stress
  • If you are on some medication.
  • Sudden weight loss may also lead to missing a period
  • Eating disordered diets.
  • Some sort of illness.

If you miss a period then you might want to see your medical history.

THINGS SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES SHOULD PROVIDE

Schools and colleges should provide some basic hygiene products for girls who are eleven and above.                                          Some of the needs are:

• They should provide sanitary pads for someone’s first periods or in case if a girl has started the periods and she is not carrying the pad.
  • The washrooms for girls should be properly cleaned.
  • A properly covered dustbin should be provided.
  • There should be clean water in washrooms.
  • Napkins should be provided to dry the private areas.

If the school or collage does not have these private essentials you can talk to the principle about it.

SUMMARY

1. A period naturally occurs in a female’s body and is nothing to be ashamed of.
    2. It lasts for 3-5 days every month.
    3. Some of the symptoms are cramps,mood change etc.
    4. In case of severe symptoms contact a doctor.
    5. Maintain proper hygiene in your private areas.
    6. Missing a period does not always mean pregnancy.
    7. Schools and colleges should also have private essentials for girls.