#PeriodPaath: “Men Can Support Women During Menstruation”

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

To

The Super wiser,

ICDS Dept.

I have observed that in my locality, people are not show interest to discuss on Menstruation and periods. If they discuss on this, they maintain very secret for discussion points.  In the community there is superstitious, they don’t send their girls to outside in periods time for 5 days and they treat and provide separate needs to the girls at this time .

Some girls suffer from stomachpain during the periods . They use local medicine for that to reduce pain but they are harmful to the girls. There is no proper awareness to girls / women on Menstrual hygiene

Girls and women have very less or no knowledge about reproductive tract infections caused due to ignorance of personal hygiene during menstruation time. In rural areas, women do not have access to sanitary products or they know very little about the types and method of using them or are unable to afford such products due to high cost

Needs to improve to address the Menstrual Hygiene:

• Arrange free napkins to girls at schools level
  • Spread the message of uses to family members
  • Sensitization programs on usage of napkins at school level
  • Orientation to teachers, hostel wardens , Asha and Anganwadi activists by health related resource persons

Men can support and influence women and girls in managing menstruation in households, schools, work, and community through many roles as husbands, fathers, brothers, students, teachers, colleagues, leaders.

K. Sunitha

Social Mobiliser

Credoc, Room To Read

Kosgi.